• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cr500 carb heat with thermostats

G
May 1, 2018
Hello all, i have read so many threads on the cr500 snowbike setup but i have not found the answer to this question. I am running 2 ktm thermostats between the head and both rads. I am running a tee before one of the thermostats to my carb heater. My question is, can i run the return from the carb heater to the crossover hose at the top of the radiator? or do i have to run it to the large crossover at the bottom of the radiators or the waterpump inlet?
Thanks for reading.

R
Apr 18, 2016
So I run my carb heater return side to the top crossover on the radiator and I only run one radiator with a tunnel cooler. My system works good but still not perfect. The reason they want you to go to that down tube is to reintroduce before the radiator gets a chance to cool it off. I think the lower spot really is the place to go...it just gets a little tough on real estate in that location.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So I run my carb heater return side to the top crossover on the radiator and I only run one radiator with a tunnel cooler. My system works good but still not perfect. The reason they want you to go to that down tube is to reintroduce before the radiator gets a chance to cool it off. I think the lower spot really is the place to go...it just gets a little tough on real estate in that location.

That is what I did putting it on the lower section but also eventually just went with a tunnel cooler.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I welded a bung into the bottom of the left rad for the carb heat return, makes for simple clean install. Tap the flat boss on the back of the cylinder for the heat source for the carb heater. The KTM thermostats don't work very well they leak too much coolant past. You will want to spring for a Thermobob if you want a thermostat, I haven't run one in 5 years. I just run rad shields and add and subtract them based on my temp gauge as needed works as good as anything I've tried. Take them out on the trail put them in in the deep. Generally on the 500 keeping heat in is the trick. I built a pretty sweet tunnel cooler and never bothered to install it.

M5

Last edited:
Premium Features