• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coolant leak on 2005 M7

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Hello guy s-- Thank you in advance for advice

I have an 05 M7 that is dripping a significant amount of coolant. I have to refill at least once a day. I thought I had it fixed when I found a crack at the bottom of the sterring post. That is fixed but it is still spewing.

It is dripping from the crack at the back of the bottom skid plate where it changes to the aluminum at the front of the tunnel.

I strongly suspect the coolant lines on the back/bottom of the motor. That is a scary job for me as, although I have mechanical knowlegde, I don't know sled mechanics near as well.

Does anyone have advice/walkthroughs/tips on addressing this issue? One of these days I'm going to forget to bring coolant and the day isn't going to go well!

Thank you,
Rob

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Is it actually leaking from the cooler lines at the front/top of the tunnel under the protector plates? That's where my backup M7 is leaking from but it's running down and dripping off the back of the bulkhead. I've been dreading that fix just having to pull the track and fuel tank to remove/reinstall the protector plates.

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Is it actually leaking from the cooler lines at the front/top of the tunnel under the protector plates? That's where my backup M7 is leaking from but it's running down and dripping off the back of the bulkhead. I've been dreading that fix just having to pull the track and fuel tank to remove/reinstall the protector plates.
It might be I guess. Maybe it is leaking from there and following the contours of the tunnel down. I tried to pull the track off. I got the skid off but couldnt figure out how to get the drivers out to remove the track.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Have to pull the diamond drive out, then slide the track shaft over to that side and out of the brake caliper. Do not need to remove the brake caliper or take it apart; just the big nut holding the brake rotor on and the bolt running through the track shaft.

R

rsamsel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 21, 2011
Ok. I had the diamond drive out so I can handle that part. I'll prob wait until the season is over and just have antifreeze with me all the time. I hate to tear it apart and lose the whole season if I struggle to find the problem. Is it not common for the hoses behind the motor to fail?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
On a 16 year old sled I would say anything is susceptible to to fail, but I don't recall those being a known issue or anything. Waterpump seal might be another source. If you pull the plastic skid plate off it gives you a pretty good view of the underside and behind the engine. Pretty quick to do just removing a few screws. Unless it has an add-on skid plate then that is a little more difficult and time consuming to remove.

Premium Features