• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

coolan hose size out of the bottom of the head

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
got an slp head and the water outlet on the bottom of the head is WAY bigger than the stock one and bigger than the hose. did polaris change the size in later years? mine is 02

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
got an slp head and the water outlet on the bottom of the head is WAY bigger than the stock one and bigger than the hose. did polaris change the size in later years? mine is 02

Same thing happened to me, i just blocked it off as I'm running a xcr t-stat.

Thed edgexc vs the switchback did have different cooling systems, The edge xc has a smaller nipple, the switch a bigger.

You can see this on babbittsonline on the parts breakdown.

Give slp a call and see whats up

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
i bought the head used

theres a part number on it, Give slp a call and talk to Ron, real decent guy and tell him whats going on.

The housing will bolt on any 800, the domes are what will give you the desired compression.

You can just reduce the hole down with a brass reducing bushing to get the stock nipple to work.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
The escape set up has the bigger hose, the edge had a complete different set up. Go look at the two different sleds and you will see the diff in the 2 cooling system.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Western NY.
well im just kinda wondering if they went to a larger hose for better cooling in the later years

The larger the bypass hose the worse the cooling will be. The bypass sytem on the poo's are half the trouble to overheating. They recirculate to much hot coolant right back into the pump, and not through the heat exchangers.

the T stat in a poo head does not block off the bypass circuit when the stat opens, it just keeps pumping hot coolant to the pump. thats why i redoo my cooling system with a xcr stat that will close off one of the output circuits.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Some of the head kits come with a second "reducer" bushing to allow the smaller factory fitting to be screwed into the large opening in the head. Its nothing different from what you can buy in a plumbing shop/home center. A couple of the Polaris models (like the Escape) used the larger fitting, so this is what the aftermarket companies did with the heads. Incidently, Polaris DOES have a thermostat that completely blocks the bypass passage, but it's only on a couple engines (mostly small-blocks) for reasons I don't understand.

Premium Features