• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Convert Riot to Riot S?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
posts on here for doing that, buy new shorter shocks, or have the stock stocks shortened, then readjust your strut length and maybe drop forks if you want to keep things handling properly, beat the snot out of my shortened RIOT yesterday trying to keep up with Dans shortened ARO. Tree ride from hell in blinding snow storm and 3 minutes of sunshine every 15 minutes.

C
Apr 22, 2019
posts on here for doing that, buy new shorter shocks, or have the stock stocks shortened, then readjust your strut length and maybe drop forks if you want to keep things handling properly, beat the snot out of my shortened RIOT yesterday trying to keep up with Dans shortened ARO. Tree ride from hell in blinding snow storm and 3 minutes of sunshine every 15 minutes.
Absolutely love my shortened ARO 3. had the shocks shortened, and bought a S front spindle.

Chris

C
Apr 22, 2019
Thanks for the feedback guys. Is it pretty straightforward shortening the shock? Is it something a local shop could do?
Yes. You just need to find a RIOT S and find out what length the shocks are...then order the correct front and rear springs from Polaris...they are stiffer than the regular height ones.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
As I posted this fall when I lowered my RIOT, I put 1.3" aluminum spacers in my shocks. My notes say the shock was 13.875 "
1.3" spacer, they should measure 12.575, did the same on several ARO.

That lowers the kit less than 3" but the TS kits I measured were not 3" lower either. On my KTM500 I cut the front spindle down an 1" and moved my forks up about 1.75 of an inch and began playing with adjustments. Had to shorten my strut some get things even. Handled great but suspension too soft. Went to 105 spring on the rear and added some rebound dampening when I shortened the shocks. Played with adjustments for a couple of months. Two weeks ago was a tuning day helping a guy get his 2 stroke Yam working, so I began making some adjustments to my RIOT as he changed jets etc, my rear was too soft, turned my rear shock spring up to 7" of compressed spring, felt way better for spring rate but too much ass kick up on bumps, , ...... and made the bike a lot busier going down the road, more weight on the ski. Mulled that over for a day, then took my rear shock apart and added quite a bit more compression and rebound dampening. Back out in the snow on packed sled tracks, rear was now way stiffer, shooting across woops and moguls launching dead flat.......very good, lengthened my spring back to about 7.4", best so far for my non RIOT RIOT. Great 6 gear run through end of day snow packed trail back to the truck.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
By the way, a little off subject here.........a RIOT issue.

My first year Riot I talked to Polaris warranty about the front lower shock mount beginning to fatigue crack. Their response was I should quit jumping and abusing the kit. I fixed it without welding as my local dealer said if they come out with a warranty fix they would for sure refuse warranty if I had been welding on the mount. Ditto for spearing the track, their response was not an issue, isolated cases of abuse of the kit.

2021, RIOT comes with reinforced lower front shock mount and anti stab wheels at the front of the rail.
All good for 2021 kit buyers, just disappointing that the parent companies flat denial of first year problems does not reflect honest customer relations and build much buyer loyalty.

M
Jan 14, 2004
$hit like that is why I went away from TS, eventually they just pissed me off so much that I said fine, go fawk yourselves. What's the point of a 4 year warranty if every claim gets denied. Quit advertising that the kit is built for huge drops, rowdy riding etc etc if you are going to call it abuse. Total TS BS as usual. They had a customer for life in me but they blew it. They truly believe their $hit doesn't stink.

M5

Feb 23, 2019
Cheney Wa
As I posted this fall when I lowered my RIOT, I put 1.3" aluminum spacers in my shocks. My notes say the shock was 13.875 "
1.3" spacer, they should measure 12.575, did the same on several ARO.

That lowers the kit less than 3" but the TS kits I measured were not 3" lower either. On my KTM500 I cut the front spindle down an 1" and moved my forks up about 1.75 of an inch and began playing with adjustments. Had to shorten my strut some get things even. Handled great but suspension too soft. Went to 105 spring on the rear and added some rebound dampening when I shortened the shocks. Played with adjustments for a couple of months. Two weeks ago was a tuning day helping a guy get his 2 stroke Yam working, so I began making some adjustments to my RIOT as he changed jets etc, my rear was too soft, turned my rear shock spring up to 7" of compressed spring, felt way better for spring rate but too much ass kick up on bumps, , ...... and made the bike a lot busier going down the road, more weight on the ski. Mulled that over for a day, then took my rear shock apart and added quite a bit more compression and rebound dampening. Back out in the snow on packed sled tracks, rear was now way stiffer, shooting across woops and moguls launching dead flat.......very good, lengthened my spring back to about 7.4", best so far for my non RIOT RIOT. Great 6 gear run through end of day snow packed trail back to the truck.
Can you tell me the dimension of the spacers you used? Where did you source them from?

C
Apr 22, 2019
$hit like that is why I went away from TS, eventually they just pissed me off so much that I said fine, go fawk yourselves. What's the point of a 4 year warranty if every claim gets denied. Quit advertising that the kit is built for huge drops, rowdy riding etc etc if you are going to call it abuse. Total TS BS as usual. They had a customer for life in me but they blew it. They truly believe their $hit doesn't stink.

M5

I have found that Warranty stuff and how it is handled is very dealer dependant... Sad but true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I used 3/4 aluminum round stock cut to length, drilled a 1/2" hole in the center. Some of the shock service companies just sell plastic as spacers, I have always used aluminum to avoid any issues with the plastic not being totally resistant to braking down from the beating and petroleum.

Feb 23, 2019
Cheney Wa
I used 3/4 aluminum round stock cut to length, drilled a 1/2" hole in the center. Some of the shock service companies just sell plastic as spacers, I have always used aluminum to avoid any issues with the plastic not being totally resistant to braking down from the beating and petroleum.
Thanks as soon as season is over Ill be looking in to lowering my ARO3

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
NO idea on that one? I have redone a number of KTM 300's rear shocks that had a cap spacer installed..............how I don't know, but an awfull lot of screwing around when shock disassembly is not complicated and reassembly doesn't really require nitrogen for the shock to function, 200 psi of air works ok, most rider can''t tell the difference. And then, first time you drive by a heavy equipment shop or bike shop with real mechanics, stop in and fill up with nitrogen, or maybe costco tire department.

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
NO idea on that one? I have redone a number of KTM 300's rear shocks that had a cap spacer installed..............how I don't know, but an awfull lot of screwing around when shock disassembly is not complicated and reassembly doesn't really require nitrogen for the shock to function, 200 psi of air works ok, most rider can''t tell the difference. And then, first time you drive by a heavy equipment shop or bike shop with real mechanics, stop in and fill up with nitrogen, or maybe costco tire department.

Yeah mountain bike shock pumps work good, then you don't get the moisture you would from compressed air. I have been using them when I service my dirt bike shocks for years. Imo you can tell no difference between air and straight nitrogen.

E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Any new information on what size spacer is required for the Fox QS3 riot shocks?

Also are there any aftermarket 7" springs available or just oem polaris?

Thanks!

Premium Features