• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Considering new Khaos, are there any must-do upgrades?

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
Hello everyone,

New here and never personally owned my own sled, however not new to other similar automotive activities (motorcycles, sxs's etc).
I completely understand mods are endless but I'm more curious if there are any must-do or highly recommended upgrades even on new machines?

I'm VERY interested in snowchecking a new Khoas here in the coming weeks so want to have an idea on what items are a "requirement".

For example, last year I purchased a new SXS and there are a few components such as lower A-arms that it's only a short matter of time until you bend/break one and it's almost guaranteed it's going to happen quickly haha. So I upgraded those before even riding it for the first time.

Anything similar like that or these sleds I can look into further?

For what's it's worth, the main purpose of the sled is to just have fun and use it for snowboarding access to some locations easier as well :)

T
Nov 11, 2008
If the Khaos comes back for 2022 in the exact configuration right now available with the series 8 you should plan to do extroverts and anti stab so factor in that.

Otherwise my 165 Khaos has been pretty darn good. Little get on the bottom which is irritating but waiting to see how the new 21.5 flash is working out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
For your intended use, I recommend a 2.6 track, it is also known as the series 6.

Pick up a couple spare ski rubbers and carry them with you, it sucks to have a floppy ski.

Only upgrade i see as necessary are some better ice scratchers. Ice storm throw a lot of snow.

Sent it

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
If the Khaos comes back for 2022 in the exact configuration right now available with the series 8 you should plan to do extroverts and anti stab so factor in that.

Otherwise my 165 Khaos has been pretty darn good. Little get on the bottom which is irritating but waiting to see how the new 21.5 flash is working out.

Awesome thanks! Not gonna lie, no idea what that is but will look into it! I swear every time I get into a new sport/activity it's a whole new language to learn :) but also part of the fun.

I'm suuuuper torn on 155 vs 163/5. From what I've researched so far is a lot of people want the 165 with a shorter tunnel. So I'm thinking I'll go with the 155, get it, use it, see how it is for my style/area, and if needed can fairly easily add a longer track (and other required parts). I'd be OK with adding the longer track if that were the case and this way it helps me with my decision knowing I'm not completely locked-in.
For your intended use, I recommend a 2.6 track, it is also known as the series 6.

Pick up a couple spare ski rubbers and carry them with you, it sucks to have a floppy ski.

Only upgrade i see as necessary are some better ice scratchers. Ice storm throw a lot of snow.

Sent it
Thank you! I'm currently considering the 2.75 series 8 since I think I want to go with QuickDrive2 and 2.6 isn't an option, at least it isn't for 2021, assuming it will stay the same for 2022 but will find out in a few days.

I'll add the items to my list of things to look into, I appreciate it!

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah

Just got to try the 21.5 flash on my 21 Kahos. it’s not perfect but better. Rode at 9500 ft

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Awesome thanks! Not gonna lie, no idea what that is but will look into it! I swear every time I get into a new sport/activity it's a whole new language to learn :) but also part of the fun.

I'm suuuuper torn on 155 vs 163/5. From what I've researched so far is a lot of people want the 165 with a shorter tunnel. So I'm thinking I'll go with the 155, get it, use it, see how it is for my style/area, and if needed can fairly easily add a longer track (and other required parts). I'd be OK with adding the longer track if that were the case and this way it helps me with my decision knowing I'm not completely locked-in.

Thank you! I'm currently considering the 2.75 series 8 since I think I want to go with QuickDrive2 and 2.6 isn't an option, at least it isn't for 2021, assuming it will stay the same for 2022 but will find out in a few days.

You can get a 2.6 and just get a gear dowb kit, like a TKI

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.

I really recommend staying away from the series 8. Not only does it currently have issues, it is a 3.5pitch, they are not good for trails and i assume u will be riding quite a bit of trails while sled/skiing.

The 2.6" series 6 has a 2.86" pitch. Much better all around track that does fine off trail. It will keep the hyfax and the engine cooler.

The stock gearing works for the majority of the riders. I geared my khaos down to 2.42 with TKI and love it in the trees.

Sent it

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If you are new to this gig i would just buy it and ride it. There is literally nothing you need other than a tether. I would put hardened wear bars on and get rid of the carbides. Other than that, enjoy. Reallly nothing you have to have.
As far as the track, i think the series 8 is the best Polaris track to date. I've had no problems. Everything will be improved on for 22 if there have been problems.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
stock sled will be the best for your purpose with zero mods 2.6 track. You will find with aftermarket snowmobile products the fit and finish is often poor the products don’t work as advertised or in some cases actually make the problem you’re trying to fix worse. I would consider a 155 track you will gain more in maneuverability then you lose to deep snow performance. I wouldn’t change A arms unless you want to change a bulkhead.

Best bang for the buck take a riding clinic. I’ve seen so many modded out snowmobiles with guys that can’t ride. Spending money on mods won’t make you a better rider. Give any top rider out there any sled brand completely stock except maybe a 4 stroke Yamaha for half a day and they’ll do things with that sled 99% of snowmobilers will never do.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
I have 2021 Kahos 163” QD2 3” I put a limiter strap off of a pro on it and it’s buy far the bet sled I have ever had. A lot of dudes don’t like the stock 3” track but it works awesome for me here in utah. I have a 2020 850 pro 163” 2.6 with kurts gear down also I choose to ride the Kahos every time.

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast
Lot's of great info here guys, thank you!

@summ8rmk I don't plan on riding trails unless I have to. My previous riding I was spoiled and got to ride in epic terrain in AK (lived there for 5 years) but it was just random trips here and there when I could borrow a buddies sled. I do a lot of splitboarding too so always in search of fresh snow and good terrain off the beaten path :) It does seem like the series 8 is a love/hate, everything I've read either people say stay away or they absolutely love it haha. But the intent is not to cruise on trails.
But I have read a lot of great things on the 2.6.

@turboless terry Yes that's exactly what I'm hoping I can do starting off. As much fun as I love customizing things (I built my Ducati piece by piece, bolt by bolt, from the frame up) I was surprised when I got my SXS which is meant for driving hard how easy some parts break and there are basically a few things you've gotta upgrade day 1 or have spares on hand, and just for average riders too.
Of course I will upgrade/customize something on the sled, but as long as it's not an immediate must-do then I'm not worried about it.

@shattuck Thanks for the advice on the stock sled. and I'm all for a riding clinic. I use to race local club level sportbikes etc and I always tell other riders to do track days. No matter their bike or their riding style, they can learn so much from a single track day on the race track.

@Bframpto good to know on the 3". I'm guessing the main areas I'll be riding are Alaska, Oregon, and Utah (I love Utah). I just spent a few weeks there in January and am heading back in a week or two. Granted I was in southern Utah for mountain biking, but I love all of Utah!

Snow conditions can vary throughout time in the same area, and then of course even more so across different states. So finding the best all around track is difficult. But I'm also realistic, I'm fairly new to this so initially I'd probably be fine with either and I know I'd have a blast. With that being said, I want to try to start off with the best setup to grow with as I progress and learn what works for me.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If i have to chose a polaris track, I prefer the 3in series 7. I really don't like the 2.6, the traction just isn't there.
I do however think the 2.6 is the best track for the 'majority '.

U sound like u have more experience than i had assumed, i apologize.

Sent it

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I thought the 2.6 was fine for my 16 axys but on my 21 khaos it seemed to be lacking after a year on an Alpha. I put a 156 x3 on my khaos with a tki gear down and could not be happier. I honestly feel like it wheelies less with the 3", doesnt make sense to me. But like others have said, a stock khaos will be more than enough for a newish rider.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

b-litt

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
McCall, ID
m.youtube.com
stock sled will be the best for your purpose with zero mods 2.6 track. You will find with aftermarket snowmobile products the fit and finish is often poor the products don’t work as advertised or in some cases actually make the problem you’re trying to fix worse. I would consider a 155 track you will gain more in maneuverability then you lose to deep snow performance. I wouldn’t change A arms unless you want to change a bulkhead.

Best bang for the buck take a riding clinic. I’ve seen so many modded out snowmobiles with guys that can’t ride. Spending money on mods won’t make you a better rider. Give any top rider out there any sled brand completely stock except maybe a 4 stroke Yamaha for half a day and they’ll do things with that sled 99% of snowmobilers will never do.

I’ve never seen someone take out a bulkhead bc they swapped to aftermarket a arms. And there are a LOT of guys running aftermarket a arms... for good reason.

C
Feb 23, 2020
I have 2021 Kahos 163” QD2 3” I put a limiter strap off of a pro on it and it’s buy far the bet sled I have ever had. A lot of dudes don’t like the stock 3” track but it works awesome for me here in utah. I have a 2020 850 pro 163” 2.6 with kurts gear down also I choose to ride the Kahos every time.

I have the 163/3 and love it as well. Super playful and lots of capability for the deep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
If i have to chose a polaris track, I prefer the 3in series 7. I really don't like the 2.6, the traction just isn't there.
I do however think the 2.6 is the best track for the 'majority '.

Sent it
Funny you say that because I'm not a fan of series 7. Trench a little. Digs down where the others jump up on the snow and go. Two different kinds of snow. It funny that when we were in alpine we got in stellar snow. You would come off something and were in full on panic mode because you couldn't see where the trees were. We went sledding a week earlier at home and the snow was less but twice as hard to get around. My little alpha and even my buddy's 163 kaos were struggling. I think the series 8 is awesome. I know you hate it but we just haven't had problems. Maybe a bad batch.

S
Dec 16, 2011
Eastern Washingtom
I’ve never seen someone take out a bulkhead bc they swapped to aftermarket a arms. And there are a LOT of guys running aftermarket a arms... for good reason.
I guess I’m the only one then to be fair there is no way to be 100% sure it wouldn’t have happened with the factory arms I suspect it wouldn’t have so I’m sticking with stock.

T
Nov 11, 2008
Tracks are going to be very subjective to the riders location, conditions and style of riding.

In BC I don’t really like the Polaris 3”. It’s not horrible but I have had a 2.4,3.2.6 and now 2.75 and the 2.6 and 2.75 are really my choice but it’s not like the 3” won’t get it done I just done like how it tends to push in the terrain where I want to break it loose.

For sled skiing absolutely get the longer track though. The 2.75 with stock drivers vibrates at 20mph more than the others but it’s a great track. Just crappy drivers.

F

FirstAscent

Feb 25, 2021
West Coast

Sent it
No problem, to be fair I AM new still, I just know what my intended use cases are, or will be. I've only been out on these maybe 5 times and it wasn't consistently.

Can't we all just agree on a track?

haha kidding, I think it's great they offer multiple options from the factory, it's just not helping my decision process :) But I'd rather pick the "wrong" one because it was my choice than just being stuck with it.

Premium Features