• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Conditions Miller Flat Trailhead, Skyline

Did you find this thread useful?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
M
Dec 29, 2007
The snowmobile conditions are prime at the MFTH on the Skyline. Went up today (1/4) and tried to get into Seeley Canyon...no go due to the 500 I was on. Not too many people heading out that way yet. Did not check out Potters Pond.

Instead, went up Rolfson Canyon. It appears that plenty of people got stuck heading up there last weekend. Some pretty bad stains in the snow for sure and some really large cornice development in places that usually don't get it. Took a look over to Lake Canyon as well. I did not have any problems with hidden obstacles.

As it is part of my job, we are expecting 12"-18" of snow tonight and tomorrow with plenty of wind. Observed some overhanging cornices and the avalanche danger will be increasing. If you are heading up there, stay off the steep stuff, especially if you can't see. Start small and work into the bigger stuff. Saturday is going to be a heads up day avalanche wise on the Skyline. Plenty of low angle places to play in the powder without exposing you to the increasing avalanche danger.

Check out the advisory at 888-999-4019 before heading up. It will be updated at 7:30 am. And check out the Big Drift South Beacon Basin. Get your friend to practice with his new transceiver! It could save YOUR life.

Have fun out there! I sure did....MLSAC

Premium Features