• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Conditions Grand Mesa, Thunder Mountain Lodge

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
Our winter season has started on the Grand Mesa! Our first big storm was over a month ago, which allowed us to do some trail work and use snowmobiles. Since then it has been relatively dry.

Last night 8" of fluffy powder.

Looking for close to 24" in the next 3 days.

Thanks

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
I can offer you a half day Guided Tour. Basically, I will come with you and show you the clean play zones. Available starting Friday. This will actually save you quite a bit of money too. Thanks

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
25" since New Years

Conditions are good. Still gotta be careful getting on and off some of the reservoirs because of the drought last year the water is low, which exposes additional hazards. Plenty of other places to ride hard.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Looks like another foot is forecasted. I'm wondering if it has a base or is still all powder. The snow this year is different everywhere, from hard setup to fly away 2 foot powder. The GM is a machine eating mountain if the snow isn't deep and setup.

K
Jan 28, 2011
Thunder Mountain Lodge
Unbelievable up here now!

We have gotten 98 inches of snow in January so far! It is deep deep deep and we have a great base! We have a few cabins open for next week and a couple days open for guiding, plus 91 non ethanol fuel everyday! These are some of the best conditions I have ever seen up here!

KBP

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2013
Pipestone
What does Colorado use for sledding Permits? Headed that way in Mid February.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
What type of riding is there around Grand Mesa? How long does good riding stay in the area. Anyone know if the drive from Denver over or down through Craig is an easier drive?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
What type of riding is there around Grand Mesa?
Deep powder riding with lots of trees and meadows, nice network of groomed trails to get you in and out of the goods.

How long does good riding stay in the area.

Best riding is usually Feb, Mar and April. Season runs into May

Anyone know if the drive from Denver over or down through Craig is an easier drive?

Taking I-70 is the "easiest" drive. Well maintained, high speed limits when its dry, 4 lanes all the way to Junction. Glenwood canyon can be intimidating but still, it is two lanes wide going your way which is an improvement over the back roads.

Deanearl

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2009
Thanks for the reply, was hoping the good snow typically lasts into April, looking to get a trip lined up. Grand Mesa Lodge or Thunder Mountain easier or better to stay at...if we can get reservations?

Premium Features