• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Compare

P
Jul 30, 2021
Washington
Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a sled 2013-17. Purpose for my question is I'm new and don't have a well rounded advice pool around me. My pool says buy a Polaris you'll never regret the decision..... well Artic Cat speaks to me I like them. Why? Ihave no idea, I have No solid reason why. Please hammer out reasons Polaris is king, why artic cat is better than skidoo and so on. I will be riding in Washington State mountain country, PNW. What kind of riding??? Great question, groomed, hill climbs and some trees. Thanks in advance

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
What kind of dealer do you have close by and what kind of service do they give?
What do most of your riding buddies ride?
A good dealership can make or break a deal on a sled.
I know two guys that were riding Polaris for several years. The dealership changed hands where they live and they couldn't get anything for parts until "We can order it in next week"
The skidoo dealer had parts for their riding buddy and even sent him out with a demo for three weeks while they replaced a motor. One is already riding a skidoo and the other is going to be.

Your riding buddies can help with little things here and there if you're on the same brand. They already know the tricks and should have the same tools and part's if something goes wrong.

You can't go wrong with any of the new sleds but those two things can certainly influence your decision.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
after riding nothing but cats up until 2009 ,i would never buy one again ,reasons extremely poor clutching ,chains that have continually broken ,(those 2 items alone have caused me to tow out more times than i can remember) . also chassis that doesn't work well on the snow . with polaris i have never had to tow out . even though people say the motors are a weak link . the polaris chassis works so much better ,they get up on top of the snow and stay there . and clutching is really good ,ie; belt life . just my opinion take it for what it's worth

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
If your riding pool is all on Polaris, do that for the first year or two at least until you get up and running.

Polaris has the best chassis - it teaches you how to ride correctly and forces you to ride correctly.
Ski-Doo has the best motor(s).
Cat lost their way in 2012 and is still somewhat behind to this day because of it.
Good Dealer really matters - go with whatever brand has the best dealer.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't know about down south, but up here Cat dealers have become few/far between...and that ones that are around don't seem that "into it" anymore.....as AC itself hasn't been very "into it" for several years. On top of that, many AC parts have become very expensive, and sometimes hard/slow to get. You can argue the finer points of 1 sled vs another till the cows come home....but AC as a brand has been on life support for half a dozen years, and there's no arguing that. Happy to be wrong, but I fully expect to wake up one day and the brand has been shut down, or re-organized to something completely different.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
I don't know about down south, but up here Cat dealers have become few/far between...and that ones that are around don't seem that "into it" anymore.....as AC itself hasn't been very "into it" for several years. On top of that, many AC parts have become very expensive, and sometimes hard/slow to get. You can argue the finer points of 1 sled vs another till the cows come home....but AC as a brand has been on life support for half a dozen years, and there's no arguing that. Happy to be wrong, but I fully expect to wake up one day and the brand has been shut down, or re-organized to something completely different.
definitely they are few and far between these days. Yet, there are certainly exceptions out there. My favorite dealer within a 100 mile radius is a Cat dealer and he's only about 20 miles away. There are still a few good ones out there. Yet - I still buy Polaris. So...???

Yes, I really hope you're wrong, but certainly nobody would be able to be too surprised.

Premium Features