• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Coming from Wyo

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
Not sure if anybody will see this at this time of year but what the hell. A buddy and I were gonna go to the UP this last winter for sledn but we got talked out of that by some yoopers, all good.

Now the wife and I are headn that way the end of august, Marquette to Grand Marais etc. Wondering when do the trees start changing up there, and whats the black fly situation like that time of year? We've been on the shore of Superior yrs back in early july and were down right mugged by all the flying critters, still loved it though!

Thanks!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Johndee.com

TONS of info on this site for what your looking for. The site owner/operator is a sledder and and shares info weekly about the UP in his journal. That includes the current summer bug status and the fall colors.

I can tell you from personal experience that the fall color show on a good year is simply amazing! Hit some of the back roads and the trees enclose the road in a canopy of color.

Eric

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
No chance of Fall colors at the end of August. Peak dates for that area are usually around the first week of October. Can't help you with the fly situation.

Be sure to tour the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore and Tahquamenon Falls State Park.

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
Thanks for the suggestions, we're all about the back roads. In the early 90s we went from Grand Marais to Deer Park, then over to Rainbow Lodge, Two Hearted river etc. Caught it just right, and the waves on Superior were huge!

The Mrs. would just as soon stay in Marquette, but after we check out harborfest fri and sat we're headn east, see if Rainbow Lodge is still there lol! Remember lots of sandy two tracks towards RL.:beer;:beer;

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
Thanks for the offer, but do to timing we're not gonna make it east much past Deer Park, maybe to Rainbow Lodge, then a big u turn back west. After a couple days in Marquette then Grand Marais we may need to take a break from beers....

That was stupid, I take that back, lol! Got some buddys out here that want me to get them some Old Style, not their fav, but guess it reminds them of home, lol!

Premium Features