• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold start help

R

redwolf_92

Feb 19, 2011
Wadena, Mn
Ok, I have a 2001 RMK 600. I know it is getting a bit dated now, but for riding here in Mn it is a nice sled for the wife and kids. I actually love riding it too cause I can ram it through the brush or take on a gnarly ditch without fear of wrecking my "good" sled. My problem is that it will not start when it is cold. If I have it in the heated shop it will start right up first pull everytime. After I get it started it runs great. I checked the compression and it has 125psi in each cylinder. The topend was fresh last year so I would say that there is probably 300 miles on it. Is there something common that I should begin with for a hard cold starting sled of this vintage?

The only mods on the engine are an SLP single pipe and can. I have run this setup for 4 years and it is a really fun combination. I am jetted pretty close to the edge, but have not had a burn down due to jetting yet.

I am leaning towards replacing or rebuilding the fuel pump. Any other advice is welcome. Thanks

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
How old is the gas? In ATV's and side by side's we see gas problems when it gets cold out they won't start so we pull them in, let them warm up for 1/2 hour to an hour and they start. It's from when the refineries switch from summer gas to winter gas. The summer gas won't fire when it gets cold out. We pump the gas out and put new gas in and they start every time sitting outside in the cold. I never believed it until I saw it first hand but it's becoming more common every year it seems. Maybe worth a shot.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
This is going to sound silly but are you turning the choke all the way on? Its amazining how many people only flip it up to the first notch, and not all the way to full choke. Makes a huge difference.

R
Nov 30, 2007
helena, mt
Something I learned from a fellow on here. When shutting off the sled at the end of the ride, I kill it with the choke, seems to start much easier next ride.

Premium Features