• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX vs ARO 3 vs Riot

jrlastofthebreed

It seemed like a good idea at the time
Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2016
Coeur d'Alene ID
Im in the same boat. Was all set on a new CMX but now im not 100% sure anymore. Unfortunately not that many people ride CMX. and out of those how many have ridden a riot or an ARO 3 is even smaller. Maybe none. So any info we get is just educated (or uneducated) guesses. We just have to wait and try them out...

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Right off the bat I see some for sure mods to the Riot ? I have most of the parts already sitting on the bench for mine. CMX ? Always good reports, not far from my house, could drive over and take a look, I have watched their product for 4 or 5 years, all good...............revolutionary product..........no. Good but not life changing. Its snow we need and better bikes.

S
Oct 27, 2017
Greybull WY
Right off the bat I see some for sure mods to the Riot ? I have most of the parts already sitting on the bench for mine. CMX ? Always good reports, not far from my house, could drive over and take a look, I have watched their product for 4 or 5 years, all good...............revolutionary product..........no. Good but not life changing. Its snow we need and better bikes.

What are you planning on modding on the riot?... Do tell:)

B
Feb 18, 2009
CMX is a premium kit for a premium price so not for everyone. General benefits over ANY TS kit is belt drive, better ski, better spindle, build quality, and more forward mounting position. The CMX is playful like a Riot but also has less ski pressure when off the throttle because of the further forward mounting of the skid/track. The CMX also has a lower approach angle which reduces tranching and deep pow performance. The ARO 3 is going to be the best deep power kit with the 3" lug but is going to take the most power to run good. The Riot is limited in being a 120 only and despite being fully uncoupled with good weight transfer it's mounted further back than the CMX which is an important factor. Another thing to consider is the incredible customer service by CMX vs. the poor customer service and parts availability with Polaris/Timbersled.

Riot = playful value kit
ARO 3 = deep pow performance - needs the most HP
CMX = Best combination of deep pow and playfulness in a premium build quality

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
For my Riot when installed:
move kit forward and eliminate the primary chain tension-er and its excessive drag

new tension-er in chain case

new gearing to go with the mods above

new low friction DID o ring chain

heat exchanger in tunnel

useful rear bumper

fuel can mount

I will ride it and begin working on shock revalving and new springs, there was quite a bit of room for improvement on the TS and ARO kits with better shock setup, far better trail manners.

Front spindle and ski ? I am running the same now, remains to be seen how much better it can work with adjustements when running the Riot susension.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I don't have any insight on the CMX as I've never rode one but got to spend a little time on a demo in the mountains on an ARO3 and RIOT. I've only owned TS kits, 13 and 17. I've rode a bit on a Snowtech MX and MotoTrax just to give a little background.
The first thing I noticed was the RIOT on the trail, it seemed to be so much more planted, less teeter totter. It took less power to take off and seemed to be able to maintain track speed better. The drivetrain overall seemed more efficient.
Jumped on the ARO3 and it did pull some lines and seemed to do well all around. Although I'm not sure if it was just the FX450s they had demos on or it was that track but it was underwhelming power wise. Could have been the bike but I do feel like that track is going to need a lot of power to turn.
The RIOT had a new feel compared to snowbikes I've rode of the past, I ended up snowchecking one. Twiddling my thumbs till it gets here :D

Premium Features