• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CMX belt drives, worth the money?

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
CMX drive systems, are they worth the money? are they that much more efficient than a chain case? does anyone use a motor cycle chain, like timbersleds direct drive? I ask because I'm building a sled this summer and want to save weight as much as possible.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Just depends how much you want to put in the project money wise, like everything else in motorsports. Are titanium rods worth 4500.00 ? aluminium block? Carbon fiber tunnel,hood,all titanium suspention,titanium bolts,aluminium heim joints,crazy porting on the track..ect ect ect....adds up really really fast. Trust me on this one you can hit 35,000.00++ really quick on a super light sled. But yes its a nice drive system,I use the avid chaincase on mine never had any issues at all.

On my next mod deal I will start with a pro ride chassis, lighten it with titanium a arms,bolts,carbon hood,better shocks and stick one of my spare 903's in it. Figure I can get it around 390 dry for about 1/2 of what it cost to build the edge chassis....390 lb,great chassis,205 hp....enough for me...

Last edited:
J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Exactally. I put one on my project this year and it rips. Problem is i have nothing to compare it to but It works great. Holds up to power to.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Put one on my 06 doo. Nothing to compare it with either. Did a whole bunch of stuff at once. Had a bad bearing. Replaced it and havn't had any trouble. I think they work great. How much better, I'm not sure. Like they said above, Just a matter of what you want to spend.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i'm thinkin a couple pounds at most. Avid case in pretty light and I run the aluminum bottom gear from wahl bros.

1404cat

Jan 25, 2010
I have a CMXDS and I love it. 300 hp and it holds up fine. If I remember correctly when I weighed my cat system against the CMX there was atleast 12 lbs lighter. The drive shaft will be aluminum and the jack shaft is actually gun drilled. The belt only weighs a few ounces compared to those heavy chains. the pulleys are a fraction of steel gears. Rotating weight is where the seat of the pants difference is. They are nice. Go to there web sight and check out the video. Mark is good to deal with.

M
Jan 28, 2008
NW Montana
thanks

Dose any one know of a used one for sale? I wish I was near some swap meets
I would like to get one but I hate to spend 2350.00, that's a steep price when building a sled.

RMK4life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I know that the belt used is just a blower belt. It would probably take a lot of time and effort but if you were so inclined I bet you could manage to rig one up

Premium Features