• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching with gear down?

JoBoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Champaign, IL
I installed a Kurt's gear down kit on my axys 800 rmk with silber turbo running 5# boost. I also went from 155 to 163. I'm running indy specialty turbo clutch kit. I was wondering if the gear down is going to affect the clutching? Any one running similar setup or have experience adding the gear down?

worx53

hotrodsledshop.com
Lifetime Membership
Jul 15, 2009
www.hotrodsledshop.com
I installed a Kurt's gear down kit on my axys 800 rmk with silber turbo running 5# boost. I also went from 155 to 163. I'm running indy specialty turbo clutch kit. I was wondering if the gear down is going to affect the clutching? Any one running similar setup or have experience adding the gear down?

You usually don't have to change clutching for gear changes unless its a drastic change.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
i just picked up pro ride gears 21/44, compared to axys 22/43, and will be gearing my axys down. Silber turbo @ 7lbs. full indy specialty turbo clutching. I have not installed gearing yet. but was running 72.9 g before, Will leave it at that. but if I wasn't gonna do the gear down I was thinking about pulling 1 more gram out to pick up a few more top end Rpms. I will report back next season and let you know. Let us know what you find. Thanks

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Usually with the small change from the axys to the pro ride gears or Kurt’s (original ratio) it doesn’t affect rom enough to change. Most people aren’t running enough rpm on their axys turbo anyway, so it may help you. Your track change may affect it though depending on the track and drivers you used

M
Jan 2, 2018
Kent, WA
I went from 5lbs to 7lbs + pro gears gear down and I had to add a two of his weights in the turbo 3 full clutch kit. Right now I am running 3 in hole #1, 0 in hole #2 and 1 in Hole #3 riding at 3000-7000ft

Premium Features