• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching the P-22 Boost

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
1.969”
Set up another P85 for a friend, he is all smiles.
I had similar results with the Arctic Cat roller bearing clutch. It just didn’t have the same tunabilty as non roller bearing clutches. There were many small adjustment issues that were hard to overcome. So I ended up going to a non roller bearing primary and different length belt. I found there are more better(haha yes I said that!)tuning options with non-roller primary clutch.
Anyhoo, same experience but on a different brand.
Clutch on fellas!

Last edited:
O

onetwothreego

Apr 20, 2022
Ontario
Very interesting thread.
So it looks like the bearing in P22 is 0.350" larger O.D. then P85 shaft.
So the belt will start 0.175" higher now vs P85. Is the O.D. of clutch sheaves same as P85?
I dont have a P22 in front of me, thanks

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
The P22 incorporates a non adjustable spider that leads to an issue with a wide belt to sheave measurement. I have measured them in excess of .080”.
The sheaves will mate at the same time the cover hits the spider.
This causes a loss of belt grip that you will witness at the outer edge of the P22 in streaking.
In my honest opinion the P22 should be shelved and re-engineered.614E601D-9D57-4F8C-972A-283F9C7C0C42.jpegF25963E7-DDFB-480F-BCE4-5E83E9B8B542.jpeg67B3BDE8-0AC0-4209-A54C-57DE55B930ED.jpegFE50FAB9-942A-4AE5-A455-8E76ECA43F4E.jpeg

Last edited:

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Anyone have any insider info yet if the 23 will still have the P22 and if so, any modifications to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

onetwothreego

Apr 20, 2022
Ontario
The P22 incorporates a non adjustable spider that leads to an issue with a wide belt to sheave measurement. I have measured them in excess of .080”.
This causes a loss of belt grip that you will witness at the outer edge of the P22 in streaking.
In my honest opinion the P22 should be shelved and re-engineered.View attachment 387996View attachment 387997View attachment 387998View attachment 387999
Is it possible to machine down #15 spacer to get a better belt to sheave measurement?

Screenshot_20220426-093227_Samsung Internet.jpg

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
In my honest opinion the P22 should be shelved and re-engineered.View attachment 387996View attachment 387997View attachment 387998View attachment 387999
Im confused. if they both hit at the same time what does it matter. if you machine one its still going to lose belt grip isnt it? what am i missing here?

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
First on the list would be to machine components for a proper belt to sheave. That alone will improve performance and belt grip.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Anyone getting good results with adjustable weights (EPI,SLP) or are most just going with something like EPI Belly weights etc?

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
Think this might be why Polaris has the style of weights that they are using on this maybe? Seeing the pitting on the clutch face where it makes contact when the belt is pushed out by using EPI T76 weights. Maybe the stock weights by not pushing the belt all the way out avoids some if not all this contact wear while sacrificing performance.

Our thought has been so many years that the belt needs to be pushed out to a certain depth, but with the self adjusting tension maybe this is the way engineers want it. If you think about it, knowing how turbos were always finicky and breaking stuff not uncommon. How would you bring one to market that wouldn't always be in the shop and loose any profit the company made in the warranty period? For sure you want it running well, but you don't want it running peak efficiency to eat parts. I'd turn down the boost a bit and mess with the clutching. Owners can mess with that and get peak efficiency from there, but it will be out of their pocket, not the companies.

This is why I think Polaris purposely built and setup this clutch this way and don't really think they will offer anything different on the 23 boost or 900r. Power and potential is there, it's just up to us to tap into it at our own risk. Tapping into the performance of the machine I think your right in tossing the P85 back in. Guys flashing the ecm and twin pipes with stage1,2 kits etc and going all out I think the P85 at this point is essential.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Think this might be why Polaris has the style of weights that they are using on this maybe? Seeing the pitting on the clutch face where it makes contact when the belt is pushed out by using EPI T76 weights. Maybe the stock weights by not pushing the belt all the way out avoids some if not all this contact wear while sacrificing performance.

Our thought has been so many years that the belt needs to be pushed out to a certain depth, but with the self adjusting tension maybe this is the way engineers want it. If you think about it, knowing how turbos were always finicky and breaking stuff not uncommon. How would you bring one to market that wouldn't always be in the shop and loose any profit the company made in the warranty period? For sure you want it running well, but you don't want it running peak efficiency to eat parts. I'd turn down the boost a bit and mess with the clutching. Owners can mess with that and get peak efficiency from there, but it will be out of their pocket, not the companies.

This is why I think Polaris purposely built and setup this clutch this way and don't really think they will offer anything different on the 23 boost or 900r. Power and potential is there, it's just up to us to tap into it at our own risk. Tapping into the performance of the machine I think your right in tossing the P85 back in. Guys flashing the ecm and twin pipes with stage1,2 kits etc and going all out I think the P85 at this point is essential.
Yes sir. My thoughts exactly.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
There’s so much more to adjusting the primary than just weights and springs.
In my experience, the roller bearing(RB) clutches you can only adjust these. Therefore, as a tuner, RB aren’t the best option.
Sometimes, if not most times, old school is better.
Clutch away my fellow clutch enthusiasts!

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Anyone getting good results with adjustable weights (EPI,SLP) or are most just going with something like EPI Belly weights etc?

EPI weigths work extremely well. Need to gear down and change springs. 120/285 primary and 160/260 secondary. See video.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
EPI weigths work extremely well. Need to gear down and change springs. 120/285 primary and 160/260 secondary. See video.

Nice! Watching some of the early video it looks like it spools up really quick and seems when you let off and get back into it the clutch seems engaged well. More so than having to constantly blurp the throttle to keep it engaged well. Are you running on a Khaos or a Pro trying to run the Khaos limiter strap etc?

Nice tree bang by the way. (Did you know a fairy has an screaming orgasm and a gnome watching pukes up a fresh home brew every time you clip one?) True story. Where do you think all these popup micro and home brews are coming from.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
Nice! Watching some of the early video it looks like it spools up really quick and seems when you let off and get back into it the clutch seems engaged well. More so than having to constantly blurp the throttle to keep it engaged well. Are you running on a Khaos or a Pro trying to run the Khaos limiter strap etc?

Nice tree bang by the way. (Did you know a fairy has an screaming orgasm and a gnome watching pukes up a fresh home brew every time you clip one?) True story. Where do you think all these popup micro and home brews are coming from.
This is a pro rmk 165 with a cut skidoo 165 3"

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Nice work Tony. These pictures are certainly disappointing to see. I was a cheerleader for this new clutch but I didn’t get nearly enough time on it this year. I’m not ready to take up past actions of going full blast on Polaris (drivers) to chuck this thing in the trash can just yet. But one of these days, we have got to get their ME’s, IE’s, and Finance to understand that 0.080” belt to sheave doesn’t work and we can’t have covers hitting Spiders.
I don’t want to be pessimistic but these pics are self explanatory that a machine shop investment will be required to have a chance.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Quick note from the '23 parts fiche.

the 155 fiche is still not up yet.

For the 165 models they have dropped to the 14-76 primary spring with the same 165/310 primary spring.

Secondary is running the same 160/240 spring but now it has a Straight 46 Helix.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
A little less clutch weight and more helix, mabe polaris is trying to get the bottom end to have some snap ?

Premium Features