• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching or gearing to wake up bottom end?

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Got a 20 850 163 stock with indy specialty balance/sheave work. Technically not stock but close enough for all practical purposes.

Trying to wake up the bottom end a little bit. Mid and top end I'm happy with but would like a little more snap on the bottom end, just feels kind of blah.

Generally ride 7-9500ish.

What's the best way to get there if you can only choose clutching or gearing down?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
This is a thing for the 850 and after coming off the hard hitting 800 it does hit a little soft. The thing you need to notice is that the RPM's at cruising speed (around 5500) are a bit far below the RPM that the exhaust valves open. (around 6000) I understand the latest flash has lowered that exhaust opening RPM a bit but it is not enough with stock clutching. The best way I found is to up the cruising RPM to near 5800. It does feel like it is cruising in a slightly lower gear but does not feel buzzy. Now when you mash the throttle it is right there in an instant. To do this it is easiest to have adjustable weights and I recommend magnetic type (e.g. ProMag weights) so fine tuning is easy. I also run a shallower helix and different springs to make it react quickly. If you have the Quickdrive it is good to gear down. The chaincase versions already have lower gearing. Not all may agree with me but this is just my experience.

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
Got a 20 850 163 stock with indy specialty balance/sheave work. Technically not stock but close enough for all practical purposes.

Trying to wake up the bottom end a little bit. Mid and top end I'm happy with but would like a little more snap on the bottom end, just feels kind of blah.

Generally ride 7-9500ish.

What's the best way to get there if you can only choose clutching or gearing down?

Take a look at the Ibexx clutch kit. I guarantee it will wake the bottom mid and top up better then any other clutch kit on the market.

IceAge Performance

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Gallatin Gateway, MT
Both are great options, we would recommend starting with a gear down from a functional standpoint. The new QD lower pulley and belt is a great option or we have also used TKI and Kurts kits with great results. Any of the lower gearing options help you have a larger usable range on the clutch faces making for more stable rpm, reduced clutch heat and overall better performance.

Lower gearing coupled with clutching and now you've got yourself an incredbly capable sled that should be much snappier and more consistent then stock.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Just so you know the qd2 is quite a bit lower than the kurts kit. Kurts is the same ratio as pro pulleys at about 2.1. The qd2 is 2.3, I believe . Personally the 2.1 ratio is a good little bump, but I think the 2.3 is better. So the qd2 or tki belt drive for that ratio.
i never used better clutching on a Polaris than the TRS kit. Contact him on this forum

DBRK

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2008
Bozeman MT
Buddy just got his qd2 bottom gear and belt. Was in stock

So to upgrade a 2020 850 you would just need a new belt and lower gear? Does anyone know the parts numbers for the new parts? It looks like most of the online stores haven't updated to include 2021 models yet.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
with what we do with lightening and balancing with our carbon fiber cover it will wake up your bottom end..throttle is so much more snappy! Thats the first thing every one says is it is so much better on the bottom end...take off 2 pounds of spun weight!!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I got my qd2 bottom gear and belt a few weeks ago. It’ll be interesting to test it compared to stock axys and pro pulleys

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
I went with TKI due to mine was a 3" chain case. Also did helix/adjustable weights and new secondary/primary spring. Much more spunky getting off the trailer - can't wait to get it out in the snow.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Gear down and use whatever sping(s) SLP recommends for your elevation. No need to waste $ on a clutch kit.

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
So - rode mine for the first time yesterday since I geared down and did some clutching. Almost wondering if I went to low. She sure is very snappy. Time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Mine was a 2019 3" - converted to belt via TKI. Gearing is now 2.42. Snow was pretty sticky so that may be why it felt so quick and abrupt. Time will tell - she sure rips for sure.

Premium Features