• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching options for my new 17 m8000 limited (among other mods)

D
Apr 17, 2016
Hey guys and gals it's been a minute!

Just picked up a new to me 17 m8000 limited with 800 miles on it. Other than a couple scratches along the side panels it looks to be in real good shape!

Wanting to do clutch first. Also a non offensive can, possibly a pipe as well.. Had great luck with ssi/bdx in the past on my old m8 before I swapped it out for a stm tuner. Anyone have ssi in the team clutch(s)? Will end up with lots of parts and like to stick with one brand as much as possible. May get the 18 front end and boards in the off season as well. Most of my riding is in Maine or New hampshire mostly 0-3000ft.

As for the pipe I love my ggb mountain can but in northern NH (2/3 of riding) I don't need to be heard and look cool so it rarely comes out to play. (Unless on my or buddys land) If anyone has input on ssi or slp can. (Sound wise) I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have a good sound and loose some weight without pissing anyone off and contributing to trail closers etc. I have a spi on my m8 and have never been looked at but would like opinions none the less. May get a pipe mod from ssi as well before I pick up a fuel controller etc.

Anything else that works well on the 17 is welcomed as well. Thanks ?

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what do you mean by 18 front end?
i had an SSI can. worked great in the powder but was too loud and droned on the trail. replaced with diamond S. perfect sound level IMO. SSI was snarlier than HPS even. HPS would be another good choice. SSI pipe mod is in my mind a high elevation pipe, but talk to them i guess.
have fun! solid proclimb, best year made. my favorite mod was just getting rid of the stupid hvac ducting clutch vent on the side panel and installing a screen from mountain fit in its place. works better and saves weight.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Diamond S quiet can is expensive, but it's light, quiet, actually adds power on the Suzuki, and has resale value when you sell it. I've had the same one since 2015. Friend bought a 2016 Limited M8000 that had a SSI clutch kit in it. Engaged hard at about 5000rpm and dug holes in the deep snow. Neither one of us were fans of it. He pulled it and put a full Speedwerx Stage II kit on. Ran really well with good clutching, but the L2 can that came with it was pretty loud. If I was looking at a pipe and clutch kit I would do that speedwerx kit with their bigger can, or pair it with a Diamond S can.

D
Apr 17, 2016
Thank you guys very very much for the reply! I did end up with the ssi clutch kit (low elevation mountain) engagement is like stock. Around 3500. Possibly 3700rpm. Feels as it did with stock as well. Cant speak much in comparison etc. But feels nice around the yard in limited snow. Heading to Northern NH this weekend so we will see how she runs.
(I set the reccomend magnets in weights)

The team primary is so damn loud! I think I noticed it with the stock cat wieghts in the primary as well. The spacer or shim to the left/right of weights move around a bit with the new ssi weights in there, can't remember if the stock did or not. Torque spec far as I could find was 6ft-lbs or 72In-lb so that's what I did. Torque wrench calibration was done in 2018 (snap on digital) and used only a handful of times? 20ft lbs for helix bolts, 10ft-lbs for primary cover bolts 51ftlb primary and 60 secondary. Even found a ssi video after and found same specs as I used. The weight bolt/pin spec was not in there. If anyone has a opinion there let me have it. Runs great just has the normal team primary rattle everyone been talking of since 2016!

I tried the ssi can and it's not obnoxious (in comparison to my ggb mountain can or rumble pack etc). Sounds good somtimes and somtimes it sounds tinny to me. I had a spi shipped to me. I have one on my 09/10 m8 and never been bothered by a fish cop. New one for this M looks like it's built even quieter imo. Will def be deeper and more rich I think. I also don't think I will be bothered and believe it would pass any decibel test *without hearing it yet. My other M would as well imo. I always have a loud ggb or similar for right place right time but have no interest in getting trails closed. Just not sure on the ssi in that regard but way quieter than my ggb.

Tether I have yet to install (should be stock from factory!)

Please let me know on the shims if anyone has input, I can wiggle them. Will prob call ssi/bdx as well. Think I'm OK but don't want it to f up on me! My old team clutch had a dif set up as does my stm tuner. I'm all ears. I know the rattle is normal (weights hitting spyder I assume) but the shim/spacer is why I worry.

@sno*jet The 18 frond end conversion I spoke of is a bdx kit with tube running boards. I think its $1400. Going to ride it stock first for a bit.

Happy sledding!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Please let me know on the shims if anyone has input, I can wiggle them. Will prob call ssi/bdx as well. Think I'm OK but don't want it to f up on me! My old team clutch had a dif set up as does my stm tuner. I'm all ears. I know the rattle is normal (weights hitting spyder I assume) but the shim/spacer is why I worry.

@sno*jet The 18 frond end conversion I spoke of is a bdx kit with tube running boards. I think its $1400. Going to ride it stock first for a bit.

Happy sledding!
I dont think side play in your weights is good at all. I need to replace my spacers on the sides of the weights but i dont think i can actually see much wiggle room. I just know they had grooves worn in them when i had the stock weights out, so i flipped them around when i put cutlers weights in (stock dimension) and I bet they are grooved out on that side now, adding to the noise. But there is not really any wiggle like you mention. I pried the clutch open recently to check the rollers and i think it might be in them. they didnt feel bad but i think they could just be noisy. Mine defenitly wasnt loud at all when it was brand new. But nothing looks worn out. I also slowly remove more and more hood insulating foam the older it gets so theres that..

Premium Features