• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching for '18 800/163 w/Kurts Gear Down & SLP Pipe

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Looking for recommended changes - (a starting point) - for an '18 800 [extended to 163] with a SLP pipe and can. Now I thinking to add the gear down kit from Kurts. Track is a 2.6" lug and belt drive.

Moved from factory clutching to SLP recommendations for the pipe/can (slightly heavier weights, may or may not change spring, etc).

When adding the gear down kit - going to 2.35ish gear ratio, how does that impact to the clutching. I'm gearing up from factory ratio, so does that mean lighter weights or heavier ? Pls help me understand the theory.

For reference, we are riding at 10,000 ft.

TIA

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Belt drive is going to be an awesome upgrade, the stock beltdrive sleds are geared stupid fast. The reduction is going to give the clutches a much larger usable range when riding and should keep belt temps much lower. Also power delivery out of the hole is a LOT better. Realy livens up the sled.

I would personally run the recommended SLP weight if not slightly under weight with that track and gearing combo. Gearing often does weird things and can work a little backwards of what you think when gearing down. Clutching is a 2 way street of motor HP and track torque input.

What SLP weights are you using? If your using the magnum force ones, leave them weights at the recommend weight and bring your tool kit out, You should be able to dial things in very quickly on the hill. Also remeber, the SLP pipe is designed for 83-8400 RPM

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Clutching for '18 800/163 w/Kurts Gear Down & SLP Pipe

What is the cost on the Kurts Kit? I looked once and thought it was high?
Couldn't a guy buy the TKI conversion kit for the same price and have a better setup and still get the gear down? Along with a less expensive belt setup? Just curious not saying anything either way. I know nothing of either one.

Last edited:

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Will check on the pricing for the TKI, Kurts kit is $650. Incl. clutch parts, tools to install the new gears, the two new gear wheels and two new belts.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
TKI kit is $700 and slightly more of a project, but it's a bolt on - too. The belt gets flexed a lot more due to going around the tensioner. Arguments say that's not good, others say not to worry about flexing that belt in a reverse direction. TKI also offers a number of gear ratios's where the Kurts is only one option.

Thanks for the Magnum Force weight endorsement. Was looking at those for an easy way to adjust weights. Not that changing out weights is all that bad, but the concept makes it seam pretty attractive.

Cool, thanks guys !!

Premium Features