• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch weights explanation

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Hello, can you someone put a little light on this for me? The 850 comes stock with a 10-68g weights for 7000-9000 elevation. I ride at 3000 ft maximum (which according to manual should be 1-72g). So I am currently using too light of a weights, what are the downsides of this? Should I be getting too high RPMs or what? Engine is deifnitely stronger at 3000 than at 9000 right? Thank you

Prayn4snow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Upper Michigan & Alaska
Hello, can you someone put a little light on this for me? The 850 comes stock with a 10-68g weights for 7000-9000 elevation. I ride at 3000 ft maximum (which according to manual should be 1-72g). So I am currently using too light of a weights, what are the downsides of this? Should I be getting too high RPMs or what? Engine is deifnitely stronger at 3000 than at 9000 right? Thank you

We could get really deep into explaining clutches but here is a "little light", on your question.
Yes, the motor is making more power at lower elevation (3000ft v 9000ft). With the lighter clutch weights you will quickly over rev and trip the computer to Big Brother protection mode and cause it to fault. You would also be way over the target RPM range and loose power drastically. *See any 2 stroke power curve.
Add the correct weight to get to your target RMP range based on if your sled is stock or has some modifications.

If it has modifications for example a pipe, it should have come with a recommendation on the target window.
Be careful not to add to much weight or you will have the opposite effect on power by Not hitting the target RPM range, again look at any graph of a 2 stroke power curve.
This is the reason I like adjustable weights.
Good luck

Last edited:

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Thank you for this lengthy explanation but it seems I should be getting computer errors, but I am getting none. And I sometimes do full throttle pulls for 20s and more. I have no mods whatsoever, not even exhaust :)
The exact elevation I am riding is around 900-1200m which is 3000-4000ft, my entire sled is stock and I have stock weights. I am not even sure what RPMs I am getting, I have no time looking at the gauges while passing trees. Any more hints?

We could get really deep into explaining clutches but here is a "little light", on your question.
Yes, the motor is making more power at lower elevation (3000ft v 9000ft). With the lighter clutch weights you will quickly over rev and trip the computer to Big Brother protection mode and cause it to fault. You would also be way over the target RPM range and loose power drastically. *See any 2 stroke power curve.
Add more weight to get to your target RMP range based on if your sled is stock or has some modifications.

If it has modifications for example a pipe, it should have come with a recommendation on the target window.
Be careful not to add to much weight or you will have the opposite effect on power by Not hitting the target RPM range, again look at any graph of a 2 stroke power curve.
This is the reason I like adjustable weights.
Good luck

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Set speedo up for rpm and mph. Put a go pro focused on your guage. Review the footage and report back. It is not possible to clutch a sled without watching the rpms. Rpm recall is not good information.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
someone tld me the gauge with navi can record my rpms, is that true?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Do to the dynamic nature of a cvt system often when going down in RPM and running insufficient clutch weight they will just sort of fall off due to lack of load and ability to upshift. You won't necassarily hit the rev limiter or anything drastic, the sled just doesnt pull like it should. Add 2g or 4g of weight and you will feel the sled pull drastically harder.

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
someone tld me the gauge with navi can record my rpms, is that true?
Yes it can. The max recall rpm's do you no good. They don't tell you what the rpm's are during a run. They only capture the highest rpm in a millisecond of the entire time the sled is running.
It is impossible to tune for rpm without watching the tach.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I am not sure I understand, someone told me I can record the entire run on the navi gauge, then download the file with rpms to a computer

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Maybe get that someone to show you how to download it, read it and clutch from it.
I'm throwin' in the towel on this one.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
Maybe get that someone to show you how to download it, read it and clutch from it.
I'm throwin' in the towel on this one.

I can download the files no problem :) I was just looking for confirmation that this is really possible with navi gague as I have no manual. Also I am not sure what to look for in the numbers. Also first of all I need to have my engine replaced as I have a bearing failure :) Riding my 800 now, and I immediately felt how much better it runs, quity possibly because my 850 was clutched incorrectly

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Do to the dynamic nature of a cvt system often when going down in RPM and running insufficient clutch weight they will just sort of fall off due to lack of load and ability to upshift. You won't necassarily hit the rev limiter or anything drastic, the sled just doesnt pull like it should. Add 2g or 4g of weight and you will feel the sled pull drastically harder.

Nick here hit the ball out of the park. People think they will automatically just hit the rev limiter/flash det on the screen with insufficient clutch weight/spring. This is not always the case. Too light of weight may not even pull full RPM.

The resistance or load on the secondary calibration (and from track and gearing) not being enough for the weight/spring in the primary will never allow engine and primary to go to full RPM and overcome secondary to fully upshift.

The other extreme too much load from the secondary back can cause an engine to bog.

OP needs to install the correct weights for his altitude and go from there.

Premium Features