• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch broke near shaft.

M
Dec 1, 2018
Anyone know if this is salvageable? Do I need a new crank?

20211212_125642.jpg

20211212_100027.jpg

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Not sure, but the crank still looks fine and a primary removal tool should still pop it off the crank if I’m not mistaken. Or maybe the threads for the tool are in the broken half of the primary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
The end of the crank is tapered and gets “pressed” on when your torque the primary bolt. It does to appear to have some evidence of excessive heat at the initial failure point, doubt that it’s “welded” to your crank. What sled is this?

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Ok, so different than my doo. You will need to just pull the inner part the primary off of the crank it appears, easier said then done. I’m not sure if yours has a tapered crank end, seems like it should, but I’m not familiar with that. I’ve torn my doo apart and know that system. After seeing this schematic, I’d say the threads the puller needs is in the busted off part….

f95a470b6965b759bc16c21b5aa27ebd.jpg

M
Dec 1, 2018
yeah your right about the puller and I looked at pictures online of a crank for my sled and it does tapper like you described. just figuring out how i am going to get it off with out damaging the crank

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Going to have to find a big flywheel puller of sorts… or cut it off… It’s going to be a booger, those suckers are really pressed onto the crank! Be careful, a lot of force to get them off.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Been involved with removing clutches like this that the stationary sheave is stuck to the crank and some bearing races. Get a grinder with a cutoff wheel and a regular grinding disk. Use the cutoff wheel to cut across the sheave and lop off 1/3-1/2 of it so you can get down to the steel part easily on once side. Then use the regular disk to cut a slit parallel along the crank stub. Grind down as close to the crank stub as you can. Use a hammer and chisel with light to moderate hits to split the clutch. If it's not splitting with minimal effort grind a little more. Should come off easily once it's split.

Check your crank runout once you get the clutch off.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
Exactly what boondocker said, i had to do this to my 09 dragon. just take your time and try not to touch the actual crank with the grinder. also maybe block off the rest of the engine compartment to protect it from the grinding dust and sparks.

wyobob44

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2005
Sundance, WY
boondocker is correct, i have removed several shattered clutches in the exact same manner over the years, some thin cardboard, some painters tape to contain the grinding, and i used a Mac tools cutoff tool with an adjustable grinding angle with a 1/16th cutoff wheel, taking my time, then a chisel and a light tap from a hammer for the separation,, time and patience with get it off with no damage to the crank..

Premium Features