• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch alignment after pulled motor

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
Pulled the motor out of my 05' 700 VE to replace broken steering post.

Is it best to realign the clutches, or run it as is? I don't have a tool so wondering if I should buy something?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The primary clutch is stuck where it was, because it is attached to the motor and you can't change the engine mounts. The secondary clutch has a specific number of washers both between it and the bearing and on the nut end of the keeper bolt, just outside of the 1" + solid spacer washer. Don't change anything unless you were having problems before, or with the belt when you threw it into reverse. Add a little graphite on the jack shaft so the secondary slides to adjust for the varying centerline of the drive belt.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I would recommend buying an alignment tool. When I bought mine, I didn't find anything terrible, but definitely out of spec. I usually check it a couple times per season, and with new motor mounts it hasn't moved since the first couple rides where the mounts were still taking a set. In your case, pretty good chance it wasn't perfectly aligned to begin with, and that the engine R&R affected it. Not uncommon to need motor mounts on these either. The 800 is particularly hard on the front left mount, the 700 less so, but at they should at least be checked regularly and/or replaced if they're not fresh (I'd say 5 years old or less). Good motor mounts and correct belt alignment go a long way towards extending both belt and actually motor life as well. A primary clutch rebuild and balance is another life extender. They all have their pitfalls–moreso the 800–but properly taken care of, these sleds are tanks. My 600 looks great inside and out, even at 4700 miles, and the 700s are as durable if not more. Good luck!

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
10-4. Took a long look at the mounts when the motor was out and they looked really good - no visible signs of wear out. Sled ran well over the weekend up until the temp sensor started bugging out and robbing power randomly. Got a new one on the way - should be all set after that.

What kind/brand of alignment tool did you get? Or are they pretty much all the same?

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
If the motor mounts look good, don't have any tears or feel loose, then they've almost certainly been replaced (the front two, anyway; the rears don't get beat up as much). I have a SLP alignment tool, SLP 20-150, and it's a good piece. The OE tool may be the best choice, but they don't make it anymore. Could probably find one on eBay if you really want. Other options I see are from Parts Unlimited and Sno-stuff; they might be ok, but I'd check them against a straight-edge.

One trick with the temp sensor is you can temporarily wire in a resistor so the CDI "sees" a normal temperature; I think 1-2 kOhm should work. That's more of a "get you home" solution, obviously. Obviously good to have a spare around. Another spare part I discovered it's good to have around this weekend is the choke lever assembly. I broke mine just starting the sled: I let the handle flop back in and it hit the choke lever and broke the plastic pull rod that goes between the lever and the cable.

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
Thanks for the tip on the sensor. Got a new one on eBay shipped for $28. Installed, tossed in some new NGKs for good measure and it fired up and runs as good as a 4,000 mile sled will run.

As for the choke lever... I've heard that "broke it with the pull cord" story from a few friends over the years. Not such a big deal if it's already warm but kinda a bugger the next day!

Premium Features