• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clean/rebuild injectors

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Just curious if anyone has ever sent their “bad” injectors out to be cleaned/refurbished and if it was worth the hassle? Just wondering since I’ve got a set sitting on the shelf?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Good topic Vern, I was thinking of pulling mine and putting them in my ultrasonic cleaner as preventive maintenance. Kinda curious as to what everyone else is doing?

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yeah, from the little bit I’ve looked into it, as long as the electronics in the injector are fine the rest can usually be rebuilt, and it’s relatively cheap. I might do a bit more research on companies offering this service then maybe send my old injectors off and see what happens.

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
I’ve cleaned some off a snowmobile with great results following YouTube guidelines like jarred said. I used a syringe and carb cleaner and a battery set up to open and close it. It worked.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
What are your symptoms with bad injectors? Just wondering if my 18 MC has a bad injector.

This was my process of diagnosing the injector issues. There’s a couple videos in there that show how my sled was acting.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Bought a $30 injector cleaner set up off Amazon and since I didn’t ride today due to it raining all day yesterday, I decided to throw the old injectors on there and see if I could see any issues. As far as I could tell both of them functioned properly. They both looked like they sprayed evenly and had the same pattern. Makes me wonder what the actual issue was when they were causing the sled to run poorly. Maybe just some crap in the fuel plugging them up or something. I’m curious because I feel like it’s starting to happen again. I’m starting to get a random hesitation when I hit the throttle with the new injectors very similar to how my issues started the last time. I’ve ran in tank cleaners a few times with both sets of injectors and had no change. Do these sleds even have a fuel filter, or is it just the pick up screens? Anyone ever added an inline filter between the pump and fuel rail? Wonder if it would be worth rigging something up.

A
Dec 21, 2018

Could be fuel pressure (there is a pressure regulator in/on the fuel pump that the spring in can get worn) or snow/moist ingestion when WOT (from all the leaks in the hood)..

A
Dec 21, 2018

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Vern I watched a video from Bikeman testing injectors with a tester / cleaner its worth the watch. I can't seem to paste the link so you will have to google it.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah

This is what I bought and used on the old injectors. It essentially does the same process as the vid albatroz posted except it pulses the injectors for you instead of you tapping the wire to the battery terminal. Like I said the injectors sprayed the same and looked to have normal looking patterns. No big droplets or anything.

I checked fuel pressure last season when the injectors were “bad” before swapping them and from what I recall all is well. Also shouldn’t be snow ingestion as I think I got my hood sealed up pretty good and last weekend when I was getting a few hiccups again the snow wasn’t fluffy.

If I was ambitious I’d pull the current injectors off the sled and run them on the cleaner machine just to see if it helps, but man that’s not a fun job.

Old & slow, I’ll look for that video. More info never hurts.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vern I watched a video from Bikeman testing injectors with a tester / cleaner its worth the watch. I can't seem to paste the link so you will have to google it.

If it’s the video where he was testing the actual volume of fuel out of the injectors, I just watched it. It’s interesting. Although both injectors appear to be working fine one is definitely out putting less fuel. So the fact mine “look” to be both functioning fine might not tell the hole story. Maybe I’ll have to try and rig up some sort of measuring device to catch the cleaner coming out and check the volume of each injector over a certain amount of time. I mean, if it’s not gonna snow this year, what else do I have to do.

Premium Features