• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Checking Oil Level ZR200 Sno Scoot

F
Jan 3, 2008
How is everyone checking the oil level? Manual says to lift the front of the snowmobile till the front bumper is 18.5 inches off the ground so the engine is level then check it. Picture though shows a plastic oil cap with the dipstick molded to it. My ZR200 has an actual dipstick, I assume the front still needs to be elevated to get an accurate reading but wanted to know what others thought. Also on a side note after about 20-25 hours (7 rides) of use this year the oil was down to the Min Level which kind of surprised me because I wouldn't think it would use much oil. I know some oil leaks out of the airbox from the PCV system and I am sure also burns some from the PCV system. Perhaps I just didn't get it filled all the way up when I changed the oil end of last season.

oil level.PNG

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
You have me curious now.... my kids sled is out at the cabin so I can’t check right now but what is the front bumper height when the sled is sitting normally on the shop floor?

Mine is a 2019, has a goofy curved dipstick. I will check but I don’t recall the bumper lifting thing, I read the manual when doing the first oil change. Also, access to the drain plug really sucks with a starter motor in the way IMO

F
Jan 3, 2008
Seems like I have to put about four inches of wood under the skis to get the bumper to the height noted in the manual, sled is in storage now so I couldn't tell you what the bumper height is normally. Drained the oil and put 585ml of oil back in, on the curved metal dipstick with skis on the ground this showed just under full. With the bumper raised to the height noted in the manual the dipstick showed just above minimum. I think the funky curved metal dipstick has been "calibrated" or marked such that you measure the oil level with the skis on the ground. Would like to see what others are finding for oil level after changing the oil and putting in 570ml-600ml. Which brings up another point one place on the internet said 570 ml and another said 600ml anyone know which is correct amount of oil to add? Want to get the oil level right as overfilling causes excessive oil aeration and robs horsepower, and underfilling can lead to engine failure.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
The 2020 manual says 568ml or 19.2 fl oz. AND it also says to check on a level surface. Gotta love consistency. Lol

I don’t think 30ml will make much difference in a splash lube engine, I’m still pretty careful with all procedures but just sayin’...

Pour in exactly the prescribed amount and that is as accurate as a guy will ever get. Dipsticks can be way more inaccurate that a person would initially think, so many variables. The dipstick is for sure necessary as a pre-ride check, obviously.

On my dirt bike I have a “calibrated” container that I took the time to make sure it contained EXACTLY the right amount. Now I just dump the contents in the bike and I’m ready to ride. I dump the oil after each weekend so it saves a lot of time and screwing around and it’s dead on every time.

155D68BF-0F69-4B5D-9810-33D4B5083EFC.jpeg

Premium Features