• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheapest/Lightest/Best shock upgrade option?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
But a tired shock is a tired shock... and the stock WE's wear out their mineral oil pretty darn quick... sometimes in as little as 300-500 miles from what I've heard and seen.

Shock oil and shims that are scorched just don't work well.

So, for these reasons, I'm not a fan of putting on top notch springs over a tired shock... But a fresh shock with these springs... fantastic.

For me... the order of importance if you are watching your money.... I'd spend my first dollars on the revalve and specify ONLY fully synthetic shock oil be used.

After that... the springs will to a whole different level of performance.

my 2¢

Last edited:

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
But a tired shock is a tired shock... and the stock WE's wear out their mineral oil pretty darn quick... sometimes in as little as 300-500 miles from what I've heard and seen.

Shock oil and shims that are scorched just don't work well.

So, for these reasons, I'm not a fan of putting on top notch springs over a tired shock... But a fresh shock with these springs... fantastic.

For me... the order of importance if you are watching your money.... I'd spend my first dollars on the revalve and specify ONLY fully synthetic shock oil be used.

After that... the springs will to a whole different level of performance.

my 2¢

Well said. I'd go 1,000 miles max on original valving/oil. Raptor Triple Rates all the way around for me
74317f7ffbaa9053d8500a88b6c1370f.jpg

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
If I can add my .02 here.
Ive ridden the carls revalves, i've ridden high end floats (burandts set up), and I personally ride zbroz x1.

I strongly recommend looking at the zbroz x0-ifp for light, cheap and quality. Its a dual rate spring with better valving than the carls (IMO) and it doesnt weigh anymore than stock. We had them on a couple sleds last year and I was really impressed with their performance on nasty bumpy trails, big whoops, jumps and drops. They also were flawless in reactions to technical terrain. They are a little bit more expensive than a revalve, but you get the dual spring and stronger shock and better valving (IMO). We have several boondocker guys running these shocks this year over the x1 they used to run (if that tells you anything about how impressed we were with them).

https://zbrozracing.com/polaris-ski-doo-arctic-cat-yamaha-xo-ifp-ski-shocks

AndrewAK75

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Anchorage
Looking at trying to upgrade stock non-clicker WE shocks from 2017 Axys 163. Looking for a good alternative without spending $2K!
I don’t think WE shocks are that bad imo. I was wondering if anyone has tried Raptor TR Springs on the stock WE bodies and noticed any improvements? Or maybe just a revalve? or am I just better off to save up some dough and buy fox or raptors or exits in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Walker Evans shocks. The stock monotube shocks provided on the stock sleds are soft from the factory, lack adjustability, and leave much to be desired.
I recommend that you consider retro fitting your monotube socks with piggybacks/remote reservoirs and revalve each of the shocks. Any competent shock builder should be about to complete this work. Another option is to consider is to find a nice set of used shocks, WE or other.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If I can add my .02 here.
Ive ridden the carls revalves, i've ridden high end floats (burandts set up), and I personally ride zbroz x1.

I strongly recommend looking at the zbroz x0-ifp for light, cheap and quality. Its a dual rate spring with better valving than the carls (IMO) and it doesnt weigh anymore than stock. We had them on a couple sleds last year and I was really impressed with their performance on nasty bumpy trails, big whoops, jumps and drops. They also were flawless in reactions to technical terrain. They are a little bit more expensive than a revalve, but you get the dual spring and stronger shock and better valving (IMO). We have several boondocker guys running these shocks this year over the x1 they used to run (if that tells you anything about how impressed we were with them).

https://zbrozracing.com/polaris-ski-doo-arctic-cat-yamaha-xo-ifp-ski-shocks

Just for clarity's sake, you are sponsored by them right?

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Just for clarity's sake, you are sponsored by them right?

Yes. People I ride with are sponsored by fox, zbroz, or carls. I get to ride them all on a regular basis. I personally run dual rate springs on the zbroz x1 (clicker reservoir). To me the carls preforms ok, certainly better than the stock walker, but its still using the walker body and components and cheap oil. The shaft is garbage and I have seen more than a few bend and you have the cheap springs (although I do like the STI springs on the 19s, they seems to be significantly stiffer).

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I have Raptors all the way around on my 16 pro. Absolutely love them, what convinced me to do them versus a carls revalve or the raptor trs springs is the shocks hold resale value and/or have the ability to put them on the next sled. You spend $600 on a revalve and they stick with the sled when it goes. If you keep the stockers, when you go to dump the sled pull the shocks and sell it with the stockers. If it works out you can keep them for the next one or sell them for at least 50% new. That's all it took to convince me to blow a couple grand ��

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm just glad that we have so many options!

From just a refresh/oil change... To these cool re-valves... to a full-on 4 shock Premium upgrade from Fox, Raptor, Elka, Zbroz etc.

Life is good.

Pray for snow !

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Cheapest, Lightest - Andy @ Gasshock Repair - you'll pay a few hundred max (usually under 200) and he does great work.

Lightest, Best - Burandt valved Fox Float EVOL QS-3

Best - Any of the high end shocks with a reputable tuner behind them. Fox, Raptor, Exit. Doesn't matter.

Sleeper Call - Find a pair of Assualt shocks, have Andy at Gas Shock Repair shorten them and revlave them. Boom. High end performance for not-that-much-money.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
many could argue that air shocks are not the "best"

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Hence why the other categorization "lightest" was added in front of it.

An air shock is lighter. You can also find them in the non QS3 configuration for a pretty good deal.

Many people have experience with the older generation floats, which is really too bad. The new stuff kicks butt. Especially if you are working with a guy who can valve them and tune the air chambers appropriately.

Coil is great too, I've run both. Running coil this year, mostly due to the skid design of what I'm on is designed around a coil.

I can make a great shock feel terrible with the "right" (wrong) tune...

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Back to the OG poster.... If you lump them all together the lightest, best performing, and bang for the buck , the winner is the TRS revalve and spring package. Great handling, reasonably light, affordable, and simple. The set up is tough to beat in the back country.

The next option would be a stripped down Float. We have ran Floats for quit a few years. Love them, but they are not for everyone. People do not realize the pressure changes from temp and altitude. You really need to stay on top of your pressures.

I'm just glad that we have so many options!

From just a refresh/oil change... To these cool re-valves... to a full-on 4 shock Premium upgrade from Fox, Raptor, Elka, Zbroz etc.

Life is good.

Pray for snow !

Eric... you missed one offering... :face-icon-small-win

#alliseeisgoooold
:face-icon-small-coo

y4mA-g5zQKQ7-tACd7xhi2JEizktcVPrqdoNE107jv7g3qMu8WJAd2VTIXtpde9uetm3rO6OO8qpMkmEAOSumHMC-QU3pLIYvwNmGhEQwFPh30OKefxWn5whXG6EjGOeHApqXupyJmGmhu0GmS8u364vcjPRJnKFaevdphlPukDueaJnKxhSYpzxP_bk8QND2jq_r8ph9ESmRDsIAQK30RP1w

y4m8Ar57_4HUGN8xRy1Kur02Nv5Ma4Dnp-rCqNjllot88jQXmY7pNS2VdUYIrrT9jfgpxFc7TYTTBIXuZPvuYsPvuEklNsJhuq6xyNQN7eM4iENHsM-i9I0qQIHw28micVfqfp6iLw3utghygLZaRD1ab3OaxqTW9Rw5fa_LCfahUvmnYcbefUvaP_p4N-7N2PhfJnLkmVVO1xkolvvqASYGQ

y4mY2imUiKtoLxQxSoSxWFBFkuzcOYzlsw4l0KxNDbk8kz_KuHgx5_LZauQVQLz20rlQ8_S1NPCcnROfPntc056XOsjdTaL2V99Pc3FND5z8v1iK4VfbsLsGnX96VuK6B9nyImAD-_kmNc0GoE5EV923kkEK4qbSNzGzA9WeedezXqjvGtlmXSC4aEaxTlCGh6koCt3gJYiUtmOBzxnma_pmg

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
2nd mortgage / Check
Ohlins on the way!!! ???

There is/will be different price points, and shocks available. They know the price needs to be comparable to what’s on the market. You can go “ewwwlaaalaaa” with the twin tube TTX or a little more budget friendly with a standard shim shock.

They will not be cheap by any means, but will try to be competitive. So maybr instead of a second mortgage, it’s just a body part. :face-icon-small-ton

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Have any of you guys had the chance to ride those Ohlins? I love the design, but would be wary of their tune,which IMO is the real battle when setting up a mountain sled. Heat management, fade, etc really isn't an issue for most of us.

Either way, the twin tube stuff is really cool

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
tune the air chambers appropriately.

Can you get volume reducer spacers for those things?

I've done it with oil on some evols But other than that, there's not much to 'tune'

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Can you get volume reducer spacers for those things?

I've done it with oil on some evols But other than that, there's not much to 'tune'

Yes, you used to be able to anyway. I've got a bunch on the shelf here. Between that and the EVOL chamber, that's a fair amount of spring-rate "shape" tuning. Add valving and you can setup a Float EVOL QS3 to feel anyway the rider asks...

My experience anyway.

Premium Features