• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cheapest/Lightest/Best shock upgrade option?

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Looking at trying to upgrade stock non-clicker WE shocks from 2017 Axys 163. Looking for a good alternative without spending $2K!
I don’t think WE shocks are that bad imo. I was wondering if anyone has tried Raptor TR Springs on the stock WE bodies and noticed any improvements? Or maybe just a revalve? or am I just better off to save up some dough and buy fox or raptors or exits in the future?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I thought my Carls revalve worked really well. Most noticeable $500 or so I have spent on a sled.

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Raptor TRS are a great upgrade. I would do that first, try and see if they are enough stand alone, then re-valve. We have done the springs on the WE clickers and did not need to go further for our purposes.:face-icon-small-coo

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Just take your current shocks and send them to Carl's Cycle in Boise for a revalve.

For $600 and they will go toe to toe with any of the $2k offerings. Keep your stock springs, it's the crap stock valving that has to go.

I have Raptors on one sled and Carl's valved WE on the other. The Raptors are dope, but the revalve is reallllllly close in performance for 1/4 the cost.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Just take your current shocks and send them to Carl's Cycle in Boise for a revalve.

For $600 and they will go toe to toe with any of the $2k offerings. Keep your stock springs, it's the crap stock valving that has to go.

I have Raptors on one sled and Carl's valved WE on the other. The Raptors are dope, but the revalve is reallllllly close in performance for 1/4 the cost.

This^^^, I had the revalve on my 2017 and rode other Axys’ with both Raptor and Foxes. I didn’t notice a difference in ride quality... hop on a sled with stockers and its night and day. Less adjustability with the revalved stockers of course, but most guys wont touch their shocks anyway.

I seriously enjoyed hammering through the woops with the Carls revalve, it was just fun how much better they rode than stock. I would have a hard time spending $300 on TRS and not knowing what results I was gonna see, but maybe they work good.

I also have not ridden a revalve from any one else, so there may be money to be saved for a similar job... but the Carls DOES work, no gambling there.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
All that said I have a new sled and went for Burandt Floats this year... pretty much solely for the lock feature in the rear track shock. I figure if I keep my stock shocks and sell the floats when I am done with them it will cost me about the same as a revalve. Downside is that in the meantime I have over 2k tied up in shocks.

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
I ran the burandt floats on my '16 last year and buddy of mine ran the carls revalved stockers. The Carls imo were much better than the floats and that's the way I'll be going if I don't like the clickers on the 850 I have coming

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
For light and on a budget.

Do the TRS upgrade on your stock shocks all the way around.... Super cost effective and you'll be happy with the result.

Carls does something similar, but is more costly... they replace the piston with one from the Fox line.... and valve for that... but they use mineral oil rather than synthetic in the service.

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
I ran the burandt floats on my '16 last year and buddy of mine ran the carls revalved stockers. The Carls imo were much better than the floats and that's the way I'll be going if I don't like the clickers on the 850 I have coming

What did you not like about the Fox Floats?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
For light and on a budget.

Do the TRS upgrade on your stock shocks all the way around.... Super cost effective and you'll be happy with the result.

Carls does something similar, but is more costly... they replace the piston with one from the Fox line.... and valve for that... but they use mineral oil rather than synthetic in the service.

Just curious, have you ridden both the Carls and the TRS?

pinko

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wembley, AB
What did you not like about the Fox Floats?
They didn't ride near as good as the Carl's. Valving wasn't good at all imo. Then there's the sacking out part. I'll never own another set

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yes,

But on a ProRide Chassis.... I felt the TRS upgrade had a bit better rebound control....

They work towards doing the same thing... Carls, being a FOX dealer and service center found that since the bore of the shock was the same as the fox that they were able to run the valving that they know/understand from their experience with the ZERO's... they, in essence, make a Zero shock using the Walker body as the "carrier"

TRS/Rogers use the Walker piston, drilling the orifices and use a custom valve-shim-stack... as well as full-synth shock oil.

The full synth shock oil seems to hold up longer between services.

Both are great setups IMO.

Just curious, have you ridden both the Carls and the TRS?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yes,

But on a ProRide Chassis.... I felt the TRS upgrade had a bit better rebound control....

They work towards doing the same thing... Carls, being a FOX dealer and service center found that since the bore of the shock was the same as the fox that they were able to run the valving that they know/understand from their experience with the ZERO's... they, in essence, make a Zero shock using the Walker body as the "carrier"

TRS/Rogers use the Walker piston, drilling the orifices and use a custom valve-shim-stack... as well as full-synth shock oil.

The full synth shock oil seems to hold up longer between services.

Both are great setups IMO.

Ah ok... so to be clear your are referring to the TRS/Rogers valving... NOT Raptor Triple Rate Springs?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Correct,
I'm referring to a comp between the Carls and the TRS/Rogers ...

Wasn't that your question??

Edit:.....Ah... you thought TRS.... Triple Rate Spring....Got it.

Yeah I was originally referring to triple rate springs. I have never used the triple rate springs but think I would spend money on valving first.

Never been around TRS VALVING but wouldn’t hesitate to go that route.

B

braapin

Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Yeah I was originally referring to triple rate springs. I have never used the triple rate springs but think I would spend money on valving first.

Never been around TRS VALVING but wouldn’t hesitate to go that route.

Thanks for all the input! To clarify, yeah, I was looking at Raptor Triple Rate Springs vs. a Carl’s Revalve.
I have ridden Carl’s Revalved shocks on a 2014 Pro and did like the way it performed, just never purchased those Triple Rate Springs. I’ve heard some people not happy with them if they are rated too stiff. But I see they have a few different options available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
In 2013 I sent my assault shocks to get revalved at Raptor along with their triple rate springs. It was $500... and well worth it. I have actual Raptors now and they are hands down the best first $ you spend on a sled, but revalved and resprung WEs are a big improvement over stock. Give Raptor a call and see if they have a package for the walkers, might pair best with their spring kit if it’s an option.

MTDAD

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
MONTANA
We have installed a lot of The Raptor spring kits on pros and axys. Our customers always come back and say they cannot believe the difference it makes. We believe it is the best upgrade you can make for the money.

Premium Features