• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing pistons on a 13 Pro RMK 800

X
Feb 16, 2019
Hi! I’m changing pistons on my pro this summer and I’m wondering about a couple of things. I’ also changing reeds and exhaust temp solenoid (got an fault code for that and it wont idle right). Anything else I should change when I’m at it? Do you recomend taking the motor out of the snowmobile for this or am I fine doing it with it in the snowmobile? And if I should take the motor out, how much of an hassle is that? Already got the reeds, exhaust temp solenoid and wossner pistons laying ready.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Done a ton of these.

1) remove motor
2) get a quality torque wrench. Snap on.
3) replace fuel injectors or send out to dr injector for cleaning. I now just replace as so many of these are wasted with carbon deposits. Long story why but believe it
4) replace motor mounts
5) replace fuel filter
6) only use a fix kit from MTNTK or OEM pistons from Polaris. I prefer the MTNTK kit. Use no other piston.

X
Feb 16, 2019
Okay thanks! Where do you buy your injectors and engine mounts? And do you replace the whole mounts or just the straps? And how much time do you use to remove the engine? And lastly, anything else than coolant to think about when reinstalling engine?

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
How many miles on the engine? I wouldn't pull the engine for just a top end. Sure, if you know what you're doing, you can pull an engine in an hour. But, if you know what your doing, you could also put in a top end in about the same amount of time. Save the hassle. With that said, I recommend a leak down test before you tear down to check the crank seals. Then ya gotta pull the engine to replace those.

Premium Features