• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing Dragon fuel filter; Help please.

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
I have an 07 700 Dragon and need to change the fuel filter. Is it best to pull the air box off or just the clutch cover? The air box looks like a pain in the butt to get back on. Also do I need a special tool for the coupling set up on the replacement filter? I've never seen a coupler quite like this. I've seached for old threads and haven't found any.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
yeah u will need the fuel fitting tool i did it once with a couple screwdrivers and lots of patience but i wouldnt recommend it. the tool is cheap dont mess with it

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
I think there a schrader valve somewhere that you will need to release the pressure with before you disconnect the hoses. I’m sure that someone on here will be able to explain it better.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Pretty easy swap. The air box is a two piece with a plastic push dart holding the two pieces together. Its kinda like the platic darts you find on newer car door panels.

Once the airbox is out you will need the release tools for the fittings in the pics. the upper fitting is 3/16" and the lower is 5/16". Just slide the release tool over the line then down inside the fitting to release the compresson tabs. You usually push the line and filter together as you insert the release tool then pull them apart with the tool still in.

I will post up tomorrow what I think is a Napa fix for the spendy Polaris filter. I been trying to solve this for weeks.

This is your air box. The pick tool shows where the connector dart is

100_6754.jpg

Use a gasket scraper or sharp tool to shear it off or pry it out. I shear it off and gat a pack at Napa

100_6755.jpg

Release these 2 locking tabs

100_6756.jpg

Thats it, box should roll right out. There is an anchor strap on top, you'll see it easily. You can leave the boots clamped to the throttle bodies

100_6758.jpg

Here's your filter with the box out

100_6770.jpg

Filter release tool look like this (actaully there's a couple styles, Napa will show you) this is the cheapo

100_6794.jpg

Slide it over the line and into the fitting. You see the capped Schrader valve above the filter to the right, this is to bleed line pressure. Put a shop rag under when ya do it.

100_6791.jpg

100_6792.jpg

Good luck. ps....don't forget to clean all the belt dust out of your air box while you have it off. EW

Last edited:
T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for a great post Eric, I have never had my air box out but will do it now to fix up the big crack between the two sides. Please let us all know if you come up with a replacement fuel filter, the Polaris part is way to much money!!

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Got all the needed pieces i believe. Just gotta put it all together and see how it works. I'll post it up as soon as I can. EW

E
Jan 24, 2008
WA.
Can you expand on the "connector dart"? If I go to NAPA and ask for a connector dart will they know what I am talking about? I already have the fuel filter and made a late night attempt to change as my local shop made it sound real easy to do. Maybe if you have already done a 50 fuel filter changes, but as this is my first, thought I was going to have to pull the clutch out.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Can you expand on the "connector dart"? If I go to NAPA and ask for a connector dart will they know what I am talking about? I already have the fuel filter and made a late night attempt to change as my local shop made it sound real easy to do. Maybe if you have already done a 50 fuel filter changes, but as this is my first, thought I was going to have to pull the clutch out.

on the dragons..I just slide the tank back 6-8 inches and dont mess with the airbox..but I just found it easier and faster for me to do them this way..hey eric..on your hose build..this might help you..its from snap-on tools and will allow you to make the male fuel fitting yourself....take a look might help with what your making....
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=18146&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Can you expand on the "connector dart"? If I go to NAPA and ask for a connector dart will they know what I am talking about?QUOTE]

I just took the old one to Napa, matched it up and bought a bag of 'em. AK's way may be simpler. With boost/no air box I remove the tank for every related access, its a breeze. If ya need more help, pm me your phone nunber and a good time to call. You'll get it. EW

AK, posted a thread here (IQ) on the parts i found.

Last edited:

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
on the dragons..I just slide the tank back 6-8 inches and dont mess with the airbox..but I just found it easier and faster for me to do them this way..hey eric..on your hose build..this might help you..its from snap-on tools and will allow you to make the male fuel fitting yourself....take a look might help with what your making....
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=18146&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

AK:

Could you explain what you have to do to slide the tank back 6-8 inches? Seat removal and then what, as far as bolts, lines, etc. Your way sounds a lot better than screwing with that airbox.

Thanks.

z

Premium Features