• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Changing a heat exchanger

T
Jan 24, 2018
Wisconsin
I’m new to the forum. And this might be a dumb question. I’m looking at a new cat. I know the XF’s have a full length heat exchanger to help cooling on the trails. I really like the 2017 XF 8000 high country limited with a 153 track. It’s just an expensive ride, and I can get a 2016 m8000 in a 153 much cheaper. I know the heat exchanger on the M’s are shorter. And I wanted to know if I can take off the M heat exchanger for a XF heat exchanger. So I would have the better cooling but basically the same sled, they are both the proclimb chassis I just don’t know much about the heat exchanger. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Heat exchanger

The heat exchanger on the Proclimb sleds is practically an integral part of the tunnel. It can be changed but requires a nearly complete dismantling of the machine. You might get away with leaving some of the front suspension parts on but that is about it. A mechanic who has done it before might be able to do it in about 3 full work days. A first timer would probably kill five days at it. My son and I replaced a tunnel on a wrecked 2015 Proclimb a year ago and It took the two of us together nearly a week. If you get the short heat exchanger sled just leave it and figure on using the ice scratchers most of the time.

Premium Features