• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Change Gearing Question on axys?

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
if you gear down do you need to make primary clutching changes afterward, to stay at the optimal RPM and Performance?
Generally if your clutching was good from the start, lowering the gear ratio will reduce the torque feedback as seen from the secondary causing the primary to upshift sooner which will result in a drop in shift RPM. This is easy to see, bring a set of a lighter gram weights to compensate. The less noticeable effect of lower gearing is the reduced back shift. To compensate would require a secondary spring and/or helix angle change. Changing those items is more difficult and requires more testing and knowledge. Good luck.

Cinno

D
Nov 17, 2008
I have been changing stock gearing lower for the last 30 years and almost every time I have found the stock clutch set up to actually work better with the lower gearing. On occasion I have found overreving just the opposite of what you would think and what others have said happens. This is with stock clutching. If you have already changed clutching to get improvement then I will guess that you will have to make changes to get that same improvement back with the lower gearing. I ride between 4500" -6000"

Premium Features