chain oil change help?

Tahoepow

Aug 8, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
Hello,

Changing my chain case oil in my alpha right now. I'm counting 13 bolts size torx-30 to remove. PITA and then somehow get the oil res and chain case thing outta the way to clean the chain/case area. Some of the bolts are hiding in the bottom of the case too with little access holes. ?WTF?? I've got it drained. Thinking about just filling it back up with new fluid and forgetting the removal and cleaning inside the case. I know that's not the best option but my word, what ass pain to remove. What has you guys done? Thanks

ndfb35

Oct 15, 2014
It is a pain, and no real easy way to get it out without tearing the plastics apart. This is one of the many benefits of a belt drive, but if that's not in the cards, I would only do a full cleaning once a year or every 1000 miles or so and just swap fuild. That is your call though.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
what's the point of cleaning the insides? it has a drain plug. like your trucks transfercase.

Tahoepow

Aug 8, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I know right?? I always cleaned the inside and inspected my chain/case on my summit, but ski-doo design allowed you to do that with reasonable effort. This Arctic chain case is like comparing removing an oil pan to change the oil on your car. I'm planning on filling with new oil today and avoiding the case removal.

kiliki

Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
pull the drain plug and refill ever 1k and don't worry about the rest. with the new team chain it hasn't been a problem.

jakey-boy

Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Only reason I would ever pull that cover off is to put a belt drive on. If I am that worried about what is going on there then I would have a belt drive already. Drain/Refill/ride. Now if I saw something concerning after draining I may investigate by pulling the cover but I guarantee its not going back on. Its belt drive at that point lol

kanedog

Oct 14, 2008
I know right?? I always cleaned the inside and inspected my chain/case on my summit, but ski-doo design allowed you to do that with reasonable effort. This Arctic chain case is like comparing removing an oil pan to change the oil on your car. I'm planning on filling with new oil today and avoiding the case removal.
It's the same except the cat chaincase is messier than a car oil pan change.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

thump426er

Feb 26, 2008
West Koots
I too wouldn’t pull a cover to look inside unless I noticed something in the oil when I drained it. But I also change oil after 1st ride then every 500kms. I feel like there is an aluminum gear in there because there is always a light discolouration with the oil which doesn’t happen with steel only gears.