Center shock spring

Dec 3, 2007
Pocatello
So re-visiting the discussion here. I am working at replacing the center spring and had a couple questions to seek some input.

I have a stock spring- too light I know for me
I have the dual rate spring from Yamaha that I rode last year seemed OK but still bottomed on occasion-

I have looked on line and found Eibach makes an 8" and 10"

Here is my question, I have a spring compressor and the stock center shock is about 9 5/8" from top to bottom of the spring retainers if you back the retainer all the way out. I am considering using a 10" spring with a 175Lb/inch rate

I figure that having the spring already under a slight tension to fit it on the shock will help but should keep the spring soft enough to not become too stiff

Does my reasoning seem correct? Or should I go with the 8" and a heavy weight and tighten up the retainer ring?

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
The 175 should be fine. I put a 160 in my sled and have it cranked up a bit to keep the sled a little more nimble. If you have a 1/2 inch preload on the 10" spring you should be fine, and have plenty of adjustment if you need or want to add more.

Let us know how it feels!

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
The length and coil diameter and amount of coils are important. After much testing I finally had a spring that I designed made in Texas and have sold for the last year. Over 400 sold and not a complaint. Similar to Zbroz 160 but with a few upgrades to rebound. $69.00 stingraymods.com