• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

CAUTION: Read this if powering ANY electrical accessories on your PRO.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As a note... Regardless of what ANY aftermarket mfg says, NEVER, EVER, install a fuse larger than factory installed 2amp for the "DC ACC" connector by the headlights... and also, never run a motor load of any amperage off of this connector.

This is a LOW AMP connector that draws power directly from the ECU power supply... by drawing more power than intended you could damage the ECU and/or the voltage regulator OR affect how your sled runs. If your device blows the 2 amp fuse... It means that the fuse is protecting the factory ECU/VR correctly.

DO NOT connect ANY loads to the connector marked "DC PWR" located on top of the Clutch Cover wiring-bundle. This draws power from the same location as the "DC ACC" plug BUT it is not fuse protected. The "DC PWR" connector is a power INPUT for ECU diagnostics even though it has power when the sled is running. This includes Turbo Oil-Pumps/AFR's etc... DO NOT plug turbo oil pumps into the "DC PWR" connector!

There are turbo and aftermarket parts companies that are drawing power from this connector without fuses to protect and/or drawing too high of current from this supply.

Last edited:

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Think of it as your computer at home it likes constant clean power. Turn a hair dryer on that same power source or if lighting surges the power fluctuates.
NOT good

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOTE:
NOVEMBER 14, 2014
This setup may not provide correct voltage as pointed out by 429dhm, below.

Until more info can be found... I do recommend that this setup NOT be used.

I stick to my comments in the first post.

From "DC Power" thread

It makes a "Plug N Play" install that does not alter your wiring harness and makes it easy to install accessories.

If you want to know that your oil pump is always getting power...Hook up a 12V led light to the pump power output from the fuse block.
Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HL9MXJE/
Or I'm sure Radio Shack or Auto parts stores like Oreilly or NAPA will have one.

Mount in your dashboard and you will always know if you have power to the pump.

NOTE: Many have asked about the AFR Gauges... and want to know why an AFR gauge is not a "low draw" accessory.
AFR gauges are NOT low amperage accessories because the sensor itself draws quite a bit of current to run the heater element.

... I want to run stock headlight and don't want to change that, I do want to power my turbo oil pump, run koso egt gauges, and afr/boost gauges. want the simplest.

Is the capacitor and no batt off the acc connection the best method?
YES, I believe in your situation, it is.

can i pull all those things off the one capacitor connection?
YES, Run fuses for each of those accessories in the proper size.

Mating connector for "AC PWR" at clutch guard bundle... TYCO #1-480305-0
Mouser #

Pins for connector (order a couple of extras)
TYCO # 60620-1
Mouser

Bridge Rectifier
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/GBPC3506-E4-51/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2fMRt2%2f0z7BctjwDV6a42HMg%3d

Capacitor
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier/CGS572U050R3C/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252bjC5l7YUNjjiC3kA6Gg6i%2fOk%2fNHnE%3d

Nice fuse blocks (look around the site... they have lots of good wiring stuff... vinyl tube to protect wires, connectors etc)
http://www.cycleterminal.com/fuse-boxes.html

These are also a nice clean fuse block on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291076954623

picture.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOTE: If you have an electric start sled with a battery... you can hook the fuseblock directly to the battery without the need for the capacitor nor the rectifier.

BUT... if you want the accessories to turn off automatically with the sled, you will need to install a relay on the feed side of the fuse block.

I'll see if I can do a dwg for this later with parts links.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Second NOTE:

If you are deleting your headlights OR Replacing them with LED headlights... then you will still need to run resistors to keep from overheating/killing your Voltage Regulator (VRR)

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Pulling 15 amps off the fuse block through the rectifier with a 10 amp fuse before the rectifier could be an issue for some peeps who need lots of power.

This is a great ACC fuse block solution, with no battery. Really only need 2 alternative solutions for most accessories, one rectified off ACC, and one for a 12v DC fuse block off a battery with a ACC single pole relay. Keeps it simple and solid.

UPDATE - posted at same time as MH's last 2 threads, abit of a duplicate, now.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOTE:
NOVEMBER 14, 2014

Pulling 15 amps off the fuse block through the rectifier with a 10 amp fuse before the rectifier could be an issue for some peeps who need lots of power.

This is a great ACC fuse block solution, with no battery. Really only need 2 alternative solutions for most accessories, one rectified off ACC, and one for a 12v DC fuse block off a battery with a ACC single pole relay. Keeps it simple and solid.

UPDATE - posted at same time as MH's last 2 threads, abit of a duplicate, now.

Good Catch Reg2view ...Type-O.... I'll have to fix that image when I have the time.

A 15 or 20 amp ATM (MINI) fuse or circuit breaker is appropriate there...

picture.php

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOTE:
NOVEMBER 14, 2014

GM...That is what you use...

The Tyco Connector, shown in the post above, mates to the "AC PWR" connector located in the bundle near the clutch guard.

Also to note... if you want "clean" power... the capacitor is a must.

If you value your sled, and the reliability of it, you should also protect each load with its own fuse.

Reg2view... fixed the photo for ya.

attachment.php

Last edited:

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
If running an afr guage through the AC plug , can you run a headlight delete, and the load of the afr guage on the ac side essentially "equal" out the difference of not running lights?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Hmm you have me concerned I have an RSI phone charger hooked up to the accessory plug under the headlight, think that will be an issue?

429dhm

Sep 29, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Has anyone measured the voltage output of the rectifier at higher RPM from the above circuit? The rectifier will increase the the AC voltage 1.414x. 12 to 14V AC = 16.92V to 19.74V DC. I had the above connection minus the capacitor and my DC fan went up in a puff of smoke. I didn't check what the maximum operating voltage of the fan was prior to the smoke show. Might need the addition of a Zener diode for voltage clipping.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Hmm you have me concerned I have an RSI phone charger hooked up to the accessory plug under the headlight, think that will be an issue?

You are good. That is 2 amp fused, fuse is down by the VR, in the black cover. Just don't replace with a bigger fuse.

pindallout

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
51st State Da U.P., eh!
I can't answer your exact question but, I will share my set up which worked great today.
From AC plug to koso rectifier.
From Koso to 5000uf capacitor.
From capacitor to inline 4amp fuse.
From fuse to 4" push SPAL fan.
Ran flawless at all rpms and 6.5 hrs of over the hood pow.

I wonder if you had a short somewhere. I think those spal fans can take up to 16volts. I will have to check that to verify.
Hopefully that helped even a little bit.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
NOTE:
NOVEMBER 14, 2014
The setup, above, may not provide correct voltage as pointed out by 429dhm.

Until more info can be found... I do NOT recommend that my setup, above, be used.

429... you bring up a good point. (bottom most drawings/info)
Wondering about "Peak" VS "AVG" DC output voltage??

Finding something like a LM7912 Linear VR BUT with higher amp capacity OR a zener may be needed to bring it down in voltage... and be simple.

Or maybe a simple 10-20amp "buck converter"
Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301391726562
With an input range of 9-35vdc and output current capacity of 20amp
Small size, 3"x3"x1.25"
This in conjunction with the Full-wave rectifier and capacitor would give you a very stable, near-pure 12V DC supply.

PONDERING THIS::face-icon-small-dis

Too tired to ponder/study tonight.
http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html
???
attachment.php

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/5C08.pdf

attachment.php

Attachments

• VRSS.jpg
    VRSS.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Rectifiers.jpg
    Rectifiers.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 1,684
Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast

You say you are NOT running a capacitor... I assume you ARE running a full wave rectifier (FWR) (not half wave) Rectifier... If that is the case, FWR & no cap, then you should see .90xAC input.

If you ARE running a capacitor, as I've shown, then you could see 1.41vdc (peak), no load as you have said.

If you are running a half wave rectifier and no cap then you will see .45xAC input.
This could "smoke" the motor as you are only getting half the voltage.

There are other reasons why you could have "smoked" your motor...your lighting voltage regulator may be shot... an improper spec on the FWR (too low amp rating or too low reverse voltage rating)... defective fan motor etc.

A am assuming you are running your headlights on this sled.

429dhm

Sep 29, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
My electrical system is stock, (running lights). I'm using the Mntn Tek rectifier. I will be testing the output of the rectifier today.

Premium Features