• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carls 860 review

14eer

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
860 based off an 800 cfi--Slp single--10000 ft to 12000 ft
One riders opinion

Install-- Easy. Nothing odd or complicated. If you like torque stops, the one with this kit is a good one.

Break In-- Took over 300 miles for the rings to fully seat . I know it seems like a lot of miles but thats what it took. Petroleum oil might help.

Starting-- Hard to pull over compared to stock, especially when cold. But it would always fire. One short, brisk pull will fire it up when warm.

Fuel Delivery-- Best map on a Polaris over 700 ccs that I have ridden, but it is not perfect. Lean from 5200 to 6000 rpm. Popping and cutting out would occur but it was never a runability issue. Any time throttle position was increased the motor would pick up.

Dealer-- Carls is great to work with. Chris would always return calls and handled problems diligently.

Problems-- Had to seal a coolant leak that weeped from the water jacket out through the side of the cylinder. The exhaust valve needs to be longer from the lobe to where the threads start. The 860 valve lobe will bottom just as the valve gasket contacts the cylinder. Thus, no preload exists. I know the solenoid does not open until 6000rpm or so, but piston compression, even at idle, will lift the valve. Does the 860 lack low end torque? No. Does it leave something on the table? I think so.

Performance-- Definately a step ahead of all the other modded 800s I ran against-as it should be. I ran 5 or 6 grams heavier than stock depending on helix and spring.

Worth It?-- Use more than this post to decide for yourselves. After the stock motor went down, I thought the 860 would get me a 2 ring piston with better tolerances, better reliability and better performance. Well, the performance was good and thats considering the conversion. I mean the 600 to 860, 700 to 840 even the 800 to 910 will give you a considerably greater performance gain than the 800 to 860. And then a ring spun and when it got to the exhaust port...... ouch. So much for my reliability/longevity hopes. The stock motor went 200 miles further (1300 vs 1105).

Referal-- Would I do it again? No, probably not. I would spend a little more and do the turbo. The current instructions say to replace the top end every 1000 to 1200 miles. Thats going to be $450 to $500 in parts. Probably going to have to do that with the turbo also. I guess it comes down to a performance versus cost issue.

Hope this answered a few questions.

IQ?

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Vilhelmina,Sweden
www.facebook.com
:face-icon-small-dis
Did i get it right? Did it blow up in 1100 miles?
Did you get any help from Carls?
I thought those were as bullet proof as stock-Oh not (800CFI)proof.
I have 1500 miles now on my Bd turbo Without issues now. but has heard so much good about the 860s so i had one planned for my RUSH project next year-Yes trail sleds are needed too...:confused:
Does anyone else have any feedback on this 860 Kits??
Thanks.
Ed

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Sorry to hear this. What i'm seeing is for the price of the carls kit and then pipes and what ever else they recomed it is costly. That said By and large the big bore is dead. By that i mean the new pump gas turbos seem to be very dependable and do rather well for roughly the same cost. i hear carls is actually heading this direction as well. the new sled motors do not leave much room for very much of a power gain or room for the bb application. 2 stroke turbos have changed a bunch and are way more user friendly than before by far. And they will be getting better and better. it seems every time a new builder starts putting out a kit it gets improved over the last. this trend is likely to continue.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I'd tend to agree with the last comments about turbo's. As more and more "add-on" electronics become available, the EFI systems will become easier and easier to adapt to "major" mods like a turbo. The electronics will also help these packages become more reliable - sort of the same thing that has gone on with on-road vehicles.

14eer

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Cant answer why the ring spun. There was no evidence of the pin falling out (no damage to cylinder on intake side). I have seen pins move inward allowing the ring to spin. I did not remove the ring-- or rather what was left of it-- because i wanted Chris to see the piston in the condition it was removed . No complaints about Carls helping me out on a product that clearly had no warranty.

Premium Features