• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon Fibre PRO Chassis/Bulkhead: Who is in?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Okay here is the deal, I've been conversing with Kevin at C3 about various components for my personal builds and I inquired about his progress on making a Carbon Fibre PRO RMK Chassis. From our conversations; my understanding is he intends to make the individual bulkhead pieces very similar to the cast aluminum stock parts (some differences will be necessary to aide in the layup process).

For the full PRO Chassis in Carbon Fibre he estimates the complete chassis / bulkhead with running boards, bumper and C3 cooling system to be $6-7000. Which will require a $1000 deposit, another 50% as production starts on your parts and the balance on delivery.

For just the PRO Bulkhead in Carbon Fibre he estimates the cost at about $3000 EA. The deposit would be about $750, another 50% as production starts on your parts and the balance on delivery.

He needs a minimum of five people to commit with deposits before he will take the time and effort to build the molds. I think there enough of you out there that "NEED" the ultimate sled and take pride in picking your premium parts and building your sleds from scratch, to make this happen.

He is pretty busy with all that is on his plate currently so he has asked me to field the majority of the questions regarding the Carbon Fibre PRO RMK Chassis. This will free up some of his time to bring this to fruition, should there be enough interest.

So post up or PM me.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
The more weight saved the higher the interest.

I will pass on that question, I did not ask him that specifically but from my own calculations ( before I found out he was ready and willing, pending serious interest) if the thicknesses remained the same as their aluminum counterparts the weight of the Carbon Fiber one is roughly one third the weight and way stronger. I really do not want to put a number on it, but my guess is about five times stronger. That all depends on the engineering and design choices made prior to actual production.

This is just one small piece of my long term goal of a 400# wet, Fueled and RTR sled. It can be yours also.

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Sadly it's out of my price range, but I don't doubt for a second your not going to make this happen. Please keep us in the loop on the build of this thing, I really want to watch this go together.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
This sounds exciting! Care to share any other plans for lightweight parts?

I'm assuming the majority of the machine is going to be composite?

Any lightweight engine components?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
This sounds exciting! Care to share any other plans for lightweight parts?

I'm assuming the majority of the machine is going to be composite?

Any lightweight engine components?

I would like to keep this thread strictly about interest in the Carbon Fibre chassis / bulk head. I would rather not discuss my other ideas for major weights savings on the Internet. Right now my focus is on the chassis, as that is where I feel the most value for your dollar is.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Typical CF is around 40-45% lighter than aluminum if the same volume of each is used.

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
I doubt it will be pure carbon fiber because he is most likely going to use a core. I dont think he is going to know the weight beforehand and it will be a little different each time-he could guess with all his experience though.

On a side note, when I started messing with carbon fiber and I e-mailed every company who did carbon fiber. I found most farmed it out to another place and had no real clue or did not have the decency to even respond. Kevin was very nice to me, but he is not going to give up his layup process and materials used.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
TTT, see original post

TTT; So far only one SW'r has PM'd me expressing the kind of commitment needed to launch this project. If I had the funds I would commit to all five but I don't have those kind of resources at my disposal. Hope this is just due to the forum being slow right now and this project does not die on the vine again.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
If this was in June of next year, id be in. Would have a few questions tho. Would the fuel cel be incorporated into the tunnel? Drop and roll for c3 belt drive to clear 3" track? And different board options. I do not like there boards. I prefer the tubular ones now.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If this was in June of next year, id be in. Would have a few questions tho. Would the fuel cel be incorporated into the tunnel? Drop and roll for c3 belt drive to clear 3" track? And different board options. I do not like there boards. I prefer the tubular ones now.

We may not get the interest until next year at this point but felt the conversation needed to be started in an effort to get the people interested thinking of their options and move this forward.

I will clarify the fuel cell, but I have heard that for the Pro RMK it will remain a separate piece. Which is already available for about $1800 with the Burandt markup. Haven't asked Kevin about that particular piece as we have been working on the drivers and lower drive ratios mentioned below.

I'm with you on the rest, That is why for my personal builds I'm focused on just the bulkhead in Fibre as my plans are a 9" center to center drop and roll; Allowing the brake to be placed under the driven clutch, A 9 tooth driver in either track pitch, ample clearance for the new 3" paddle tracks using the 9 tooth drivers, Gear ratios as low as 3:1. I will likely mold my own tunnel sides and top as I will raise the stock exchangers 3/4" to eliminate the choke point of the stock Polaris design. I will retain the stock Polaris running board extrusions but Air frames or the B&M tubulars would be an easy add on.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
TTT

Hoping with more people starting to get the itch for snow and checking in we can move this idea forward.

C3 PowerSports

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Sicamous B.C
www.c3powersports.com
After spending the weekend at Haydays I am seriously considering starting this project next. I plan to start with the bulkhead first and then the tunnel and hood to follow.

If we get some interest on this it will be my next project in the shop.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I think there is a LOT of interest, but not enough people willing to spend money without know the result. I'm very interested, but won't be building another sled till at least next year and would like to see the gain and durability prior to dropping money on something like this.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Slightly interested. I like the idea of a lighter pro, I was considering a Ti chassis but like carbon fiber as well. I wouldn't buy for another year or two.

Premium Features