• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon fiber overstructure issue (used sled, just now out of warranty)

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I suspect a former owner may have caused this but it seems to be in a strange spot to me. I have not hit anything, ever, with this sled, which I picked up last spring.
Is there a possibility this is a warranty related issue? Was going to put on an SLP pipe but did not want to insulate over this and lose even the remotest chance of a warranty / goodwill fix...
It seems to go about halfway around the structure.
Going riding tomorrow, any worries?IMG_20200202_170108623.jpgIMG_20200202_165934859.jpg

MDEVO

Chic Chocs Addicts
Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2011
Oshawa, ON,Canada
I think I’d throw a wood dowel down that tube if you can...just in case.
My rear carbon bumper was cracked like that and lost a lot of strength so I put a wooden dowel in to support it. Works well.
..I do keep a spare overstructure in case this happens to me tho.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
It goes about half way around. Any idea if this is impact related? I thought they broke up higher when impact related. But having never broken one myself I can only rely on what I see when I search...
Loudhandle was doing a titanium fix for these when I was searching for the issue...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It goes about half way around. Any idea if this is impact related? I thought they broke up higher when impact related. But having never broken one myself I can only rely on what I see when I search...
Loudhandle was doing a titanium fix for these when I was searching for the issue...

It probably is impact related.

Just sleeve it inside and or outside.

Run it.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
Used upper pyramid are easy to come by if you don't want to mess with the upper solutions

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Used upper pyramid are easy to come by if you don't want to mess with the upper solutions

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
I am keeping an eye out, considering SKS aluminum overstructure to be done with it (cheaper and should be stronger than the fake carbon-fiber), shipping seems to kind of kill it for used unless someone has it priced pretty cheap to start with.

alexkravets

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Portland

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Okay, not having ANY luck finding a used one, locally, or eBay, or facebook mountain sledder swapmeet... anyone got any leads for me? About ready to order an SKS aluminum one and be done with it. Or figuring out the ID of the tube and putting something down inside it or around the outside or both... making me a little nervous to ride it this way... although it had probably been this way a while.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Turns out Polaris is out of the aluminum overstructure for the SKS nationwide... using the original (non-updated) part number, I found ONE on eBay out of Canada, so I ordered it... in the meantime I located a carbon fiber one locally that has the PTO side cracked, trying to find out what the guy wants for it, as I might be able to use the two to make one good overstructure...

SO - about the glue: would regular epoxy be strong enough? Maybe the dealer would have some of the factory adhesive and I could take it in to them to get it done? I haven't looked it over, does it have any other fasteners on that end like a rivet or just the adhesive?

Last edited:
C
Nov 29, 2008
Heat gun or torch and disassemble carbon and replace with aluminium tube. Lots of adheasives at auto shops - cant recall the Llords part# but search should find it. You can always add a rivet to the connection for extra security. Did one a couple of years back and took about an hour.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Heat gun or torch and disassemble carbon and replace with aluminium tube. Lots of adheasives at auto shops - cant recall the Llords part# but search should find it. You can always add a rivet to the connection for extra security. Did one a couple of years back and took about an hour.

In the long run I think this is what I am going to do. In the short run, riding Tuesday, going to find some 1.25ID tubing in town and some hose clamps and make myself a patch / splint... when the SKS overstructure arrives, replace the whole thing, then when I have the old one out I may mess with replacing the tube(s), either with CF from the damaged one I located, or just with some aluminum tubing. Was checking out TI tubing prices, that is a bit right for my taste, however the CF sources are almost the same price as TI...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana

SKS overstructure arrives tomorrow from Canada, sled is sitting in shop (that is as far as I got it since I am fighting the flu)... So what kind of aluminum tube did you use? Any particular grade of aluminum, and wall thickness? Checked for tubing at Lowes / HD and nothing, so probably going to have to go to my local metal mfg supply shop (Pacific Steel).

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
SKS overstructure arrives tomorrow from Canada, sled is sitting in shop (that is as far as I got it since I am fighting the flu)... So what kind of aluminum tube did you use? Any particular grade of aluminum, and wall thickness? Checked for tubing at Lowes / HD and nothing, so probably going to have to go to my local metal mfg supply shop (Pacific Steel).

I saw a guy that shoved 1” copper pipe inside the cf and hose clamp it.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I saw a guy that shoved 1” copper pipe inside the cf and hose clamp it.
Yeah, looking for the more permanent fix myself... SKS overstructure arriving tomorrow will "fix" it for sure, just debating fixing my old one at some point soon, putting the fixed one in place, and reselling the SKS one since they are OOS in Polaris-land nationwide, I could recover my money and have my OWN fixed version. If I knew I could work with the TI thinwall pipe, I would consider doing that instead, for strength and weight, but I am basically a shadetree mechanic not used to working with exotics.

Premium Features