• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carbon fiber helmet?

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm in the market for a lightweight helmet, my question is what works for you and why. I live in a small town so don't have the chance to try on before buying. Any advice would be great

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
A lighter helmet will minimize whiplash from your head whipping around. Thats all it does lighter weight less fatigue. If knocked out bounced around less likely to have neck trauma. Basic physics less weight less influence. ...FMA ... force = mass times acceleration.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
My Klim F3 Carbon is awesome! Sizing is good, very light but Visors are or should I say last year were hard to come by, so I mixed in matched. Doesn’t bother me You also can buy two sizes and return one. If you tell the seller your plan, Some will give free shipping back or really reduced.
4a938241fd39e6190bc97518a9df3aa7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I tried the Airoh Aviator, but it sizing runs small and it’s XL was way to tight! I then tried the Airoh Gladiator in XL and it fight great. I did have to pay shipping back over seas, because at the time no one in US handled them.
Also most posted helmet weights are for size Medium. I know Klim F3 is listed at 2 lbs. 8 oz, for size M, wonder what their XL actually weights. My Airoh weighs 2 lb. 10 oz.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I did feel the F3 was a little tighter than my medium EVS motocross helmet, but I feel it keeps me from getting a big head up in the trees and gnar

Not sure about the actual weight of the XL, but it’s all proportional and it’s a super light helmet and I’m pretty happy with it.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
My medium is 2.5 with a go pro/light mount and breath box installed.

3fa2774116d1b38e924601359573ca6d.jpg

6e97e8e9bedd4a43f9c2712ed52b0ce5.jpg

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I have a carbon fiber Evolution helmet from 509. Its a large 59-60cm. Looking at it now I bought it 2014/15. My head size it bigger always on the last couple of snaps on a baseball cap. I really like it the fit and look. Especially with the 509 goggles. Its important to get a well fitting helmet/goggle combo. Meaning no big air gaps between the helmet and goggle and the best vision possible through the goggles. Weighing in at 2.96 lbs with a go pro mount and breath box, so a bit heavier than the Klim helmets.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I'm in the market for a lightweight helmet, my question is what works for you and why. I live in a small town so don't have the chance to try on before buying. Any advice would be great
Do you need air flow thru the helmet to stay cool? I have 2 CF helmets, 1 for super cold days, the other helmet for 90% of my riding. I think the hot one is 509, had problems with googles fogging. I sweat very easily though.

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
I have the 509 Altitude 2.0. It breathes heat out very well, almost too well sometimes. The quick connect (fidlock) strap is nice for gloves on connection, and feels very light to me.

For comparison I was previously using a Fly Racing dirt helmet from 2013 that had to be retired after an unplanned dirt bike "dismount" that left me with several broken bones.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Do you need air flow thru the helmet to stay cool? I have 2 CF helmets, 1 for super cold days, the other helmet for 90% of my riding. I think the hot one is 509, had problems with googles fogging. I sweat very easily though.
That is what is holding me back right now, we have a 9 mile ride in to the cabin and would like a helmet that doesn't have a lot of air flow for half my riding but then would like one that vents well for when the fun starts, not sure if they make such a helmet with plugs to plug off the vents then remove them when you want the air flow.

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
I use a merino wool head/face gaiter for the trail and remove when I get hot. I find the 509 helmet is very well vented without the head cover.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Alright now I've made my mind up on the 509 Altitude 2.0 carbon fiber because of the vents that can be open and closed and the fidlock chin strap is pretty cool too, but no one has a XL in stock so I'm just going to pre order and wait. Thanks guys for all the advise

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I tried the Airoh Aviator, but it sizing runs small and it’s XL was way to tight! I then tried the Airoh Gladiator in XL and it fight great. I did have to pay shipping back over seas, because at the time no one in US handled them.
Also most posted helmet weights are for size Medium. I know Klim F3 is listed at 2 lbs. 8 oz, for size M, wonder what their XL actually weights. My Airoh weighs 2 lb. 10 oz.
Were you able to find a US distributor for the AIROH helmets? I am wanting to give this one a try, but am a bit reluctant to buy overseas, due to the shipping cost back to them if the fit is not good.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Were you able to find a US distributor for the AIROH helmets? I am wanting to give this one a try, but am a bit reluctant to buy overseas, due to the shipping cost back to them if the fit is not good.
I ordered from overseas. I originally ordered and AIROH Aviator, but it was too tight and returned it. Their Gladiator series runs close in sizing in the large and XL like Klim sizing. That’s because the Aviator doesn’t have a size double XXL, and the Gladiator does. when I put on that XL Aviator my cheeks were squeezed in so bad you knew you couldn’t do it all day. XL Gladiator fights great. Of course it weighs a couple ounces more because it has a larger shell. I’ve been very happy with my AIROH helmet.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
Tobe helmets are rebranded Airohs.

Premium Features