• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Carb heat plumbing, Beta 300

S
Nov 30, 2010
I’m not able to test my setup prior to a trip out west so doing some consulting. Question may be applicable to KTM as well.
Installed PST carb heater. On the beta, the stock coolant bypass (factory 125F thermostat) dumps into bottom of the left rad, through the bottom tank, into the right Rad, through that tank, then to the water pump suction. That’s a lot of mixing. I’d like to tee into the water pump suction line, but there is basically no room. If I could get a fitting installed, I am 100% sure the coolant line will be rubbing/pushing on the pipe.

Question is, will I be ok returning the coolant back like factory into the radiator or do I need to rig something to return it directly back to the water pump? Firsthand experience appreciated. On the positive side weather looks in the upper 20’s a week from now while we will be there.

M
Jan 14, 2004
On my CR500 I welded a bung onto the bottom of the left rad and returned the carb heat there. You want to supply the coolant from as close to the heads' coolant discharge as possible for max carb heat benefit.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I’m not able to test my setup prior to a trip out west so doing some consulting. Question may be applicable to KTM as well.
Installed PST carb heater. On the beta, the stock coolant bypass (factory 125F thermostat) dumps into bottom of the left rad, through the bottom tank, into the right Rad, through that tank, then to the water pump suction. That’s a lot of mixing. I’d like to tee into the water pump suction line, but there is basically no room. If I could get a fitting installed, I am 100% sure the coolant line will be rubbing/pushing on the pipe.

Question is, will I be ok returning the coolant back like factory into the radiator or do I need to rig something to return it directly back to the water pump? Firsthand experience appreciated. On the positive side weather looks in the upper 20’s a week from now while we will be there.
I would cover it if snow is going to hit the carb..

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

M
Sep 22, 2018
I have a 14 beta 300rr with an avid carb heater and thermostat and I managed to fit the T fitting after the water pump, it touches the pipe but won't melt it(makes it very difficult to get the pipe back on though). I also had to buy a new coolant hose from the head to the thermostat as the beta has 4 hoses going into the stock one thermostat, and the avid only has 2 plus the small carb heat hose. I can send pics tmw.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I never ran a thermostat on my CR500. It didn't seem to matter the bike quickly got to 120+ degrees and held there which is when the thermostat would open anyways so it seemed like a whole bunch of plumbing for nothing.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I never ran a thermostat on my CR500. It didn't seem to matter the bike quickly got to 120+ degrees and held there which is when the thermostat would open anyways so it seemed like a whole bunch of plumbing for nothing.
I think the cr500 runs way warmer than others... my yz250 runs way cooler.

Sent from my SM-F900U using Tapatalk

S
Nov 30, 2010
I have a 14 beta 300rr with an avid carb heater and thermostat and I managed to fit the T fitting after the water pump, it touches the pipe but won't melt it(makes it very difficult to get the pipe back on though). I also had to buy a new coolant hose from the head to the thermostat as the beta has 4 hoses going into the stock one thermostat, and the avid only has 2 plus the small carb heat hose. I can send pics tmw.

Thanks for your info and photo, that is what I was planning to do, just didn’t want to cut my hose if there wasn’t room. Going to go that route. Mucho gracias!

Premium Features