• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can you add e-start to the 850?

SODAK-DOO

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2015
eastern south dakota
Seeing some good local deals on carry overs and am not finding one that i want with e-start. Have not talked to a dealer yet but wondering if you can add e-start to the 850 motor like the 800s?

S
Mar 3, 2014
wa
My understanding is that you can add estart but not shot start. Personally I'd buy whatever sled you actually want in regards to starting options.

D
Dec 17, 2018
Yes, I actually did that last weekend. I have a bit of a mechanical background and I had no problem but it's not straight forward. I made a "special" tool to install the needle bearing. You also need the three special tools listed in the instructions. There was one tool to hold the magneto while you undo the the magneto bolt. This tool was not designed to be used with the engine in Tha snowmobile. It can be used, but it was not optimal.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Is the Ski Doo kit complete?
Do you bolt the starter gear on the clutch or do you have to buy an entire clutch?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
For a number of reasons. Certainly the weight is a big one. Not having the battery in the spot where I keep my emergency supplies is another. Simplicity of the shot system (no moving parts) is worth a lot to me as well. And NOT having yet another battery to maintain/test/ replace etc (I have lots of toys and vehicles). The list goes on.... Yes I know that the Shot systems has had some glitches for some owners but mine has been flawless and hey, there’s always the rope if ya need it. :)

kasey200

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
I installed e-start two weeks ago on my 18 850. I bought the ski-doo kit which was complete however the battery they sent wouldn't take a charge. There's a couple special tools required, Flywheel puller, and needle bearing installer (I'm sure this could be improvised.) Overall I'd rate the install as about 7 out of 10 for difficulty. I took me about 6 hours start to finish. A second time would be WAY faster.

Premium Features