• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can recommendation

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I'm looking for a can for my AXYS - all I'm concerned about is weight savings and slightly louder than stock.

DO NOT want to put different weights on. Is this a realistic expectation?

And what cans are you running?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I have a full straightline pipe/can setup (SPI not SLP).

The trail can doesn't drop a TON of weight but it sure frees up some room in the engine compartment and is barely louder then stock. I think I get more sound from the uninsulated pipe then the can.

Y
Jan 30, 2009
SLP is what you exactly asked for. Not helmet rattling loud. weight saving. decent value. No clutch weight change.

Cans do not, and will not make horsepower, ever.

roast me

as the kids would say

Mxracer39

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2014
Maine
I like my SPI both in terms of sound and engine compartment space. It has a nice rumble at idle and slightly louder bark at WOT but not overly loud. I was able to mount my old pro heated bag with the SPI pipe.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
SLP is what you exactly asked for. Not helmet rattling loud. weight saving. decent value. No clutch weight change.

Cans do not, and will not make horsepower, ever.

roast me

as the kids would say

If cans won't make hp, why do can manufacturer claim this?

Even if they truly did have 2/4 hp increase...like a person can really feel that hp.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
If cans won't make hp, why do can manufacturer claim this?

Even if they truly did have 2/4 hp increase...like a person can really feel that hp.

Its called "pseudo power". Somehow some believe that louder means more power when the opposite is more often true.

An aftermarket can does not make more HP. It will however save 10+ pounds over the stock can weight. Some think the weight savings is worth the cost.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
Its called "pseudo power". Somehow some believe that louder means more power when the opposite is more often true.

An aftermarket can does not make more HP. It will however save 10+ pounds over the stock can weight. Some think the weight savings is worth the cost.

Holding a stock can in one hand and aftermarket in the other ; well, convinced me the weight savings is worth it.

T
Sep 10, 2009
I've been using a Diamond-S TI can this season and love it so far. Lightweight, not much noise increase, and uses a baffled design, so there is no packing to blow out in a season or two so the sound level stays the same.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
Between me and my group we have tried several different brands of cans. I agree that the SLP pipe combo is a good upgrade but it sounds like you’re not wanting to do any more than a can for the weight savings and a little better sound. IMO the best exhaust sound is that of a turbod sled. I just came of a turbod 16’ Axys and now ride an 18’ Axys and not turbod. I really wanted the weight savings and the better noise but I too didn’t want the obnoxious noise that a lot of cans make. I searched and found the can that sounds the closest to the turbo exhaust sound which is the MBRP trail can and I swear it made the bottom end a little more snappy. Didn’t require any other mods and I absolutely love the sound. Everyone in my group agrees that it has a great sound. Not to loud and not to quite.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Between me and my group we have tried several different brands of cans. I agree that the SLP pipe combo is a good upgrade but it sounds like you’re not wanting to do any more than a can for the weight savings and a little better sound. IMO the best exhaust sound is that of a turbod sled. I just came of a turbod 16’ Axys and now ride an 18’ Axys and not turbod. I really wanted the weight savings and the better noise but I too didn’t want the obnoxious noise that a lot of cans make. I searched and found the can that sounds the closest to the turbo exhaust sound which is the MBRP trail can and I swear it made the bottom end a little more snappy. Didn’t require any other mods and I absolutely love the sound. Everyone in my group agrees that it has a great sound. Not to loud and not to quite.

Sold many MBRP. Nice can but 2 years and it will be noisy.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Be very careful about what can you choose, many have been proven to be horsepower robbing cans. From personal experience I would recommend the SLP 09-319, it appears to generate as much power as stock and has a sweet tone just slightly louder than stock. The performance gain comes from weight loss and more importantly decreasing the surface area of the underhood 1,100 degree oven by 60% resulting in less underhood heat and cooler belt temps.

Premium Features