• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can anyone go to airport and buy AV fuel?

B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Im planning to run AV with my Silber setup, and was wondering if I will have any issue going to my local small airport to buy some AV fuel.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Anybody can buy av fuel going into an approved fuel container. You cant pull up and have it put directly into a car or your sled.
After you leave the airport what you do with is your business.
That's what the guy here told me when I asked.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

S

ShaneO

Dec 4, 2007
Chilliwack,BC
www.oconnorgroup.com
Anyone can buy 100ll. Sometimes its tuff getting access to the ramp to buy it though. Talk to the airport manager. Airports have tougher security over the last couple of years. Not so much in Canada, but definately in the States. Talk to the right person and it should be no problem.

G

Gone Sleddin

Nov 26, 2007
how big of an airport? our local one is a pay at the pump. i would either take the pickup with cans in the back right out to the pump or pull the sled and trailer to the pump and fill it up. they told me to just put anything in when it asks for a tail number, i always put in something like td800. easier to get into than the local gas stations

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Totally depends on the airport.

I've gotten av from big airports, and I've gotten turned away at smaller ones.

Of the airports within 100 miles of me, I can fuel at 1/2 of them, and the closest ones have starting gouging for fuel because of sledders now ($1-3 higher than other local airports) so that adds a fun twist to the mix as well.

Due to the prices I'm back to driving to the drag strip (bandimere) to go get my race gas. It's cheaper now to go back to that, and I don't need as much of it.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
why do i always get a funny look from a pilot sitting in his airplane when im filling my sled up with avgas?:face-icon-small-hap

our airport is pretty much dead most days, so its easy.
i could go do speed runs down the landing strip in my truck most days.

B

Boyko

Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Im planning to run AV with my Silber setup, and was wondering if I will have any issue going to my local small airport to buy some AV fuel.

There is never anyone around at the local airport here, it on a trust system you have to fill out a visa slip in the office, it is open 24 / 7

Ya just have to try, get a drum and fill it up :flame: never had the stuff spoil like race fuel does, it's a pissoff running 12.00 per gallon fuel in your lawn mower :rant:

Last edited:
B

barry1me

Mar 12, 2009
MI
Nobody's ever asked to inspect my canister. I also just fill up the sleds as well. For my tail number i usually just put NA and it accepts it.

ok good to know....I will try that approach. I hear that many airports around me ask for tail number.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
i pull up with 3 55 gallon drums on a small flatbed, fill up..done deal never had any issues. Just have a tail number picked from any plane pic online if ur asked for one...

Premium Features