• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can 850 TPS sensor be swapped into 800

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Seem to get TPS issues every single year, so this year prior to a trip down to idaho, took sled to dealer and had them reset TPS, and verify sensor is good. lasted 4 days before i got TPS voltage high faults and “abnormal rate of change” faults. plugged in digital wrench and seen that tps has already gone out of
spec. I strongly beleive the dealer did set it correctly as the tech has a pretty good reputation. The mtntk turbo location requires that i have to pull off turbo everytime so it’s not a quick job.

can the 850 non contact style TPS be adapted? i haven’t seen one in person and haven’t found schematics to compare wiring. TSS is also deleted to eliminate that factor

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I would say no. The only way to get a 2020 850 TPS sensor now is to buy the complete 850 throttle body @ $500. I don't know if the throttle body will even fit an 800HO or even if the 850 TPS is compatible with the 800 ECU. I would imagine the connector from the main harness to the TPS is different as well. It's also possible that the 850 has different specifications for the TPS.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The 850 uses a non-adjustable, contactless TPS, and I suspect the ECU calibrates itself to using some sort of setup procedure. It's completely different from the adjustable style we all know and hate. The only way you could make the 850 TPS work with the HO would be to build a signal converter to read the sensor and "translate" it to match the old TPS signal. The new TPS would be nice, that's for sure, and I have to wonder why Polaris hasn't added it to the HO. Seems if you want the 850 TPS setup, Polaris wants you to buy the 850 with it; not sure if that's to push sales to their top model, or because the HO's days are limited.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i understand that it’s not a direct fit, my concern was more so about the sensor specs if it operates on same voltage and provides the same signal. as far as fitment i can either machine an adapter of sorts or gladly buy the throttle body for $500 instead of a $250 sensor every year + time to remove the turbo for access + ruined
days or trips.

i don’t have access to an 850 to probe in my multimeter and verify sensor specs

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
i understand that it’s not a direct fit, my concern was more so about the sensor specs if it operates on same voltage and provides the same signal. as far as fitment i can either machine an adapter of sorts or gladly buy the throttle body for $500 instead of a $250 sensor every year + time to remove the turbo for access + ruined
days or trips.

i don’t have access to an 850 to probe in my multimeter and verify sensor specs

You might check the voltage regulator if you keep burning up TPS.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
You might check the voltage regulator if you keep burning up TPS.

ya i got one coming even though it shows no signs of being failed, stator tester good but considering replacing it aswell. sensor will test good with fluke multimeter then run fine and return, inspected harness and pins all good. in the meantime i will replace the sensor and may replace the connection with a deutsch connection since they are superior when it comes to poor connections as my primary fault is abnormal throttle change along with some sensor voltage high faults

A
Dec 23, 2018
The 850 uses a non-adjustable, contactless TPS, and I suspect the ECU calibrates itself to using some sort of setup procedure. It's completely different from the adjustable style we all know and hate. The only way you could make the 850 TPS work with the HO would be to build a signal converter to read the sensor and "translate" it to match the old TPS signal. The new TPS would be nice, that's for sure, and I have to wonder why Polaris hasn't added it to the HO. Seems if you want the 850 TPS setup, Polaris wants you to buy the 850 with it; not sure if that's to push sales to their top model, or because the HO's days are limited.

Tps are just a potentiometer that voltage drop changes over. ECU’s all work on voltage/binary code.

With a dvom and some work this should be very doable. Change the pigtail.

I have had no luck with digital wrench setting TPS Never seemed to last used the Indy Dan tool and had great Luck with that.

nater24

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2010
ya i got one coming even though it shows no signs of being failed, stator tester good but considering replacing it aswell. sensor will test good with fluke multimeter then run fine and return, inspected harness and pins all good. in the meantime i will replace the sensor and may replace the connection with a deutsch connection since they are superior when it comes to poor connections as my primary fault is abnormal throttle change along with some sensor voltage high faults

Just curious, what other gauges/extra things are you running on your sled like... Boost Gauge, Bully Dog, Belt Temp Gauge, MTNTK Blow Hole etc...

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Just curious, what other gauges/extra things are you running on your sled like... Boost Gauge, Bully Dog, Belt Temp Gauge, MTNTK Blow Hole etc...
just a blow hole fan and a water pump for intercooling. both are peak 2 amp draw but fan runs around 1.5 amp if i remember correctly and the fan is around 1.5 amp aswell

Premium Features