• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camso Epic 280

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
How does the Epic 280 perform during steep descents with packed snow. Full or just half pucker?

Does it handle high speed on the trail (>60 mph) better than the 3” tracks? Religious scratcher use is assumed here.

I am debating between the Epic 280 and the CE 2.5” for my 2018 Sidewinder MTX. I am replacing the 3” Powerclaw due to too much ski lift and poor performance in packed snow conditions.

Bottom line, does the Epic 280 provide great all around performance like the CE 2.5” at a lighter weight or is it just a powder track?

redneckracer76

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2012
nevada
have a buddy who installed a 163 said it was good in 18 inch of powder but on trail and blown hills with hard snow it would spin out like he was on solid ice and wouldn't hook up like the original track says he could feel it put a lot more of a load in heavy wet snow he wouldn't recommend it

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Ride yesterday in spring conditions with three sleds. One with Polaris 163x2.6, one cat 3” 162 powerclaw and a 280 epic. After spending time on each sled I’d say down hill pucker factor was the greatest on the powerclaw, epic and 2.6 Polaris pretty similar on downhill decent control. Traction up hill the 280 and 3” powerclaw pretty close, with the powerclaw a tad better. The 2.6 not near as good on uphill in soft packed snow.

neumann

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2011
Ride yesterday in spring conditions with three sleds. One with Polaris 163x2.6, one cat 3” 162 powerclaw and a 280 epic. After spending time on each sled I’d say down hill pucker factor was the greatest on the powerclaw, epic and 2.6 Polaris pretty similar on downhill decent control. Traction up hill the 280 and 3” powerclaw pretty close, with the powerclaw a tad better. The 2.6 not near as good on uphill in soft packed snow.
So it sounds like the Epic 280 has most of the powder traction of the 3” PC with better down hill control and lighter weight. The CE has better packed snow traction but won’t float quite as well in the powder.

I think I think I am going to save myself a few hundred $ and stick with the tried and true 2.5” CE. Thanks for the input.

Premium Features