• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Camber change with ski positions?

P
Dec 15, 2018
I changed my ski from center to more narrow. After it was done o noticed it sat on the keel in a different way and the steering felt different. I have never explored snowmobile geometry but have done car stuff and so...iam I supposed to push the spo due our at the top to level the keel and ski? It is camber correct lol? Negative I believe (outside ski higher than inside) ??? All part of learning. I only find ski alignment not front end alignment. Thanks

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Yep.
And in my opinion, centered seems to be better in some cases. Less ski dive in certain situations is one of the +’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Hmmm...ok , well it's odd how little information is online!? I can hardly find it mentioned more or less explained. I'll try and find more information. So can you explain dive to me? Iam so new I doubt I've had it happen a d if it did I may not have noticed. My ski stance was adjustable from 38-36..5 from factory. Four equal spacers. I did new dampers and thought I'd try as iam trying to make it a bit easier to go on edge. Now it's 3 on inside one on outside. But it had obviously changed ski . Was surprised how much a pia it was to change rubber lol!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
If it were me, I’d center them.
It’s more fine tuning talk, I guess, but, I have found the skinnier I try and make the skiis with the bushings, it does exactly what you described. And then when you make a turn with your skiis, with no lean, just a flat turn, you will see that ski position on the ground get more exagerated. Almost like walking on the sides of your feet depending which way you are turning.
Now put that same thought in soft snow and a slope on a hill and make a turn or go across that hill, the down hill ski will dive some. This makes it harder to get the sled balanced into the hill and weighted to do your maneuver or turn. Its not always a big deal but sometimes its just something that makes you muscle the machine a bit more. Or, if you need to get aggressive and turn on that slope or hill, the ski dive will make that critical turn harder, or another way of putting it, more energy to needed to make that turn. Most of the time its in slow speed situations. The earlier Cat skiis did this more also.
So, the dive isn’t completely eliminated by centering, but the stance sure seems more squared up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok thanks! I just have to ask-why do all the "headlines" read narrow stance? It's all the rage and all the aftermarket front end stuff "narrow " the ski stance. Now I COULD push the ski back flat by letting out the heims on the spindles and re adjusting the tie rods ect? I guess I don't even know what the manufacturer had in mind to begin with. Absolutely flat? A degree or two neg/pos? I dunno? My small brain seez flat but if I was burandt maybe I'd want ot canted so when I was on edge it was flatter? Or is that dumb? Yahaha! What a junk show iam! I'll put it back like I found it! Iam going to "hot rod" this snowmobile for fun and learning so ill order some grippers for it and re evaluate lol!! Thanks for the help!

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Ok thanks! I just have to ask-why do all the "headlines" read narrow stance? It's all the rage and all the aftermarket front end stuff "narrow " the ski stance. Now I COULD push the ski back flat by letting out the heims on the spindles and re adjusting the tie rods ect? I guess I don't even know what the manufacturer had in mind to begin with. Absolutely flat? A degree or two neg/pos? I dunno? My small brain seez flat but if I was burandt maybe I'd want ot canted so when I was on edge it was flatter? Or is that dumb? Yahaha! What a junk show iam! I'll put it back like I found it! Iam going to "hot rod" this snowmobile for fun and learning so ill order some grippers for it and re evaluate lol!! Thanks for the help!

Yeah the narrow sales pitches started a while back though. I think the sleds were 40” + etc.
then they moved narrower to 38 then 36.
I really liked the 38” wide Cat I had.
It had nice balance in my opinion.
The 36” definitely works too.
If you’re looking for ease of laying it over and holding it there. It’s going to be in your shock settings and in you’re technique learning. Cats are pretty floppy. Mine can literally pulled over and fall with 1 hand. But set like that, you can fight it being too floppy if the technique isn’t there.

So, go ride and ride and ride and try different things in low consequence areas. Get a feel for balance. Different situations call for different balance. Fall off, get stuck, go slow, go fast.
And then ride some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features