• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Calling all the people that have test ridden a boost!! FUEL...

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Just a curious thought, do you guys think that the turbo will always be a "snow check" only purchase? or do you think Polaris would eventually offer the turbo system as an accessory option for the N/A Polaris sleds as long as it was dealer installed?
It'll never be an accessory option, there are internal differences. They also wouldn't have any reason to sell the kit when they can sell a whole sled with it.

I'm sure it will remain snowcheck only as well... but as always there will be a "few" available on dealers floors when they start showing up.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Well..... dunno what to say, I didn’t ride the boost but two die hard polaris guys in my group, didn’t like much of it, their words not mine. Needs a track (3” sucks)and clutching, and it was very evident when inspecting the primary clutch.
My buddy said my sled visually carried more speed up the same hill,
Its just a prototype as well, and Im not repeating what The DM told me.
If polaris gets the clutching and the traction, it will be a killer sled.
The boost dumping all the time making it seem like it was hitting the rev limiter was suspicious to me. Again its a prototype.

I loved the gauge, it had some sick features on it, yes it was in KPH, and it was the sled in turcottes vid.

I really liked the look of it, I thought it was very well put together. The storage behind the Gauge is sweet.
Im pretty sure the guys who ordered one will be very happy with it.

Last edited:

Feb 14, 2010
Well..... dunno what to say, I didn’t ride the boost but two die hard polaris guys in my group, didn’t like much of it, their words not mine. Needs a track (3” sucks)and clutching, and it was very evident when inspecting the primary clutch.
My buddy said my sled visually carried more speed up the same hill,
Its just a prototype as well, and Im not repeating what The DM told me.
If polaris gets the clutching and the traction, it will be a killer sled.
The boost dumping all the time making it seem like it was hitting the rev limiter was suspicious to me. Again its a prototype.

I loved the gauge, it had some sick features on it, yes it was in KPH, and it was the sled in turcottes vid.

I really liked the look of it, I thought it was very well put together. The storage behind the Gauge is sweet.
Im pretty sure the guys who ordered one will be very happy with it.
Well how can that be ? all the experts on here say same clutching from 0 feet to 11,000 feet. after all they have been testing this sled for 2 years. LOL you can bet the production sled will have less boost then the prototype. from a high up source there are boost sleds out there with different tunes in them, still testing, and dialing them in.

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
well reliability thats the only thing remaining for you to brag about your doo...looks like a long season of but but but they are reliable! after 3 years of clutching woes and multiple bulkhead braces yeah they're getting there....

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Well how can that be ? all the experts on here say same clutching from 0 feet to 11,000 feet. after all they have been testing this sled for 2 years. LOL you can bet the production sled will have less boost then the prototype. from a high up source there are boost sleds out there with different tunes in them, still testing, and dialing them in.
Don't get the hate. I thought you said you were getting one. They have been testing for more than 2 years. Burandt said he has been riding it for 2 years. That could mean he's rode it twice. Maybe 10 times. Who knows. Who really cares. Kind of like asking the waitress if the food is any good. Skidoo isn't immune. Dealer has a blown up turbo. Big deal. Guaranteed someone will blow up the boost. People had trouble with belts on gen 4. I didn't. People were riding rocks and thought they were weak. I rode snow and had no problems. Doo said maintenance free clutch. Guess I've never seen many things that are maintenance free. I bet the sled is awesome when it comes. I was really mad at cat because I love the alpha. Probably griped about more than anyone. I finally quit because it not going to change anything and people don't want to hear someone constantly b!tching. I'd let it go and ride a doo and see how it shakes out.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
So did your local dealer have one for you to ride up there in the Dawson Creek area?

C
Nov 19, 2009
Well in one of burandts early boost videos he posted it spinning 57 mph at 11,800ft. He compared that to NA 850 turning 37-38 mph at that elevation.
These skidoo vs Polaris comparisons are for guys riding meadows and doing rainbows in open bowls. Which is fine if that’s you. But for me, even if doo had double the power...who cares! That chassis is still miles behind in technical terrain. It’s too heavy, wide, and a pita to wrench on.
Guys who say Polaris is following doo don’t ride steep nasty trees. Cuz in that terrain Polaris is looking down on everyone else.
100% The doo shines for people that ride that way. If you love crushing beers and meadow bashing the doo is for you!!!

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
All stereotypes aside it’s a very accurate description of the majority of skidoo riders.........

Dave neurotic is a classic example.

It’s possible, I dont hang out around cabins or bowls or meadows so I may not be seeing what others are.
I ride with Polaris and doo owners, now that I think of it. I dont ride with cats or yamahas.

Im not biased on brands, other than I like picking on owners of different brands, who doesn’t. I used to be a hard core polaris Owner in the 90’s.
The Polaris guys poked fun at me all weekend. Thats the fun of group settings, At least I think so anyway, its all about having fun with buddies and getting out there.

I have always said, the Polaris is a better, more efficient chassis.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
All stereotypes aside it’s a very accurate description of the majority of skidoo riders.........

It is funny that it was said because a couple of my doo buddies carry more beer than anyone I've ever seen. The hard case takes all four linq brackets. They do go ride though. If everyone rode the same thing it would have to get personal and someone would get feelings hurt

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK

I totally agree, but I’ve seen a few guys doing poo things with doo things. And making it look easy. But yea, rare to see.

Where is this sourced from? It definitely looks too simple. It makes exactly 184.8 at all elevations? Not maybe, 184.6 or 184.2? But exactly 184.8? Seems just like calculated out figures.

Can’t wait for Bikeman to tell us it makes 195.6 stock.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
It's just someone's simple 4th grade math popped into an empty Excel sheet with some formatting. Facebook marketecture. This isn't from NASA.

G
Dec 20, 2007
It's just someone's simple 4th grade math popped into an empty Excel sheet with some formatting. Facebook marketecture. This isn't from NASA.
Not sure it is going to get much better; never going to Dyno at all sorts of elevation. Polaris said 10% for HP at Sea level. Stock 850 was known to be 167-168hp @ Sea Level; so 184.8hp. Chart should be bang on for the elevation change. Once Bikeman or such comes up with a known Dyno value @ one elevation, one could update.

This really isnt rocket science; add boost to get 10% gain. Then, add more boost to compensate for elevation to 10k.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I personally think that number is pretty accurate for sea level although, there is no compensation for the loss in efficiency for altitude rise.
Regardless the system is compensating for elevation HP loss.

I dont care what the system claims for boost, without a boost gauge its just math and theory. So whatever numbers the Polaris ambassadors are throwing around is definitely moot.
I have been around turbos long enough to know that, one turbo system can make the same HP at 5lbs, where another makes the same hp at 7lbs. I personally witnessed this, when I rode two different Polaris turbos. One was a Silber kit, the other was a MTNTK kit.

Tewstroke

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2008
Yakima,WA
Are you saying that one kit was at 5# and the other was at 7# and they made the same HP? Both kits had gauges for verification?
Which kit was set at 5# and which was at 7#? ...Just curious about your findings.
Thanks!

Premium Features