• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BYPASS THERMOSTAT UPGRADE (PREVIOUSLY $28 upgrade)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Go to the bottom of this page.http://floatingqrs.com/

Some one needs to build a resistor like this for polaris. They work good on the ski doos.

I had the plug and go on my XP. Between that and two ring pistons it took a long pull to make that sled loss RPM's after those mods. It didn't feel like the peak HP was as high but always reliable, and consistent. I have always felt marketing love single ring pistons. Anyways, I would hope a similar product, or concept on a Pro could produce similar results.

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
First of all thanks for all this, its very interesting and I think it could solve the problems I have been having with my '13, a couple questions:

Can someone give a rough description of the assembly process??

And, on the parts list I'm confused... this is how it reads:

1)1 "barbed coupler
mis. hose 1)3/4"90
1)1"90

can someone clarify and give a little more detail??

THANKS!

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
First of all thanks for all this, its very interesting and I think it could solve the problems I have been having with my '13, a couple questions:

Can someone give a rough description of the assembly process??

And, on the parts list I'm confused... this is how it reads:

1)1 "barbed coupler
mis. hose 1)3/4"90
1)1"90

can someone clarify and give a little more detail??

THANKS!

U need a tee with 1" on both ends and 3/4" on the tee part, and they got rings going around the fitting as barbs to keep the hose on.
U need a 3/4" rad hose with a tight 90* bend in it with about 2"" of hose on either end of the bend.
U need a 1" hose with. 90* bend in it with aprox 10" on either side of the bend to go from the head to the new t stat.
I used my existing hose and made it work.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
A 200 RPM loss at 129* started the process. Peak torque with a hot pipe is 7900. Drop below that and you are in the land of no return. Add to that motors, with miles on them, with lower comp. and the stock HD ex. springs take over and the valves close. More Rpm loss. Now the TPS tells the ECU you are at full throttle but have not reached the RPM threshold to close the EV solenoid. Everything is headed south until you back out of the throttle and get back into it.

TRS
Where did u get this info, are u a teck, or have good sources, cause its funny ,I talked to 2 shops and they say 145 is where u start on a downward sprial not 129, but from my experience your correct and not them. Until I did this t stat mod,my engine mods made my sled worse than stock, regretting and pissed of at my self for wasting 2000 grand on engine improvements that left me embarrassed to say that I was modded.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
TRS
Where did u get this info, are u a teck, or have good sources, cause its funny ,I talked to 2 shops and they say 145 is where u start on a downward sprial not 129, but from my experience your correct and not them. Until I did this t stat mod,my engine mods made my sled worse than stock, regretting and pissed of at my self for wasting 2000 grand on engine improvements that left me embarrassed to say that I was modded.

All I can say is I have seen my share of DSM's and tech's come and go.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Trust your butt snobyrd. Trust your butt.

TRS. Will be done this summer when air flow gets a little help. I'm also planning on building a front cooler to cross over the coolant instead of just a rubber hose.
I've always found the power limitations of a NA motor was getting rid of the heat.

200smk

Lifetime Membership
Jul 24, 2008
Don't suppose anybody would do a 'walkthrough' with pictures for this??

Would love to do it, but not brave enough to mess with cooling systems and possible air bubbles etc.....need a dumbed down version...hehehe.

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
late at night here , I am thinking that if you can not figure this install out you probably don`t need it.

Beat me up as you see fit !!!
Most Pro and Doo owners would not or have not ever experienced this phenomenon if it wast not posted by some very savy sled owners.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Just a update note after a few rides at the new temp for non stock guys.

Engine likes this and fuel stays consistant (safely richer). Changes to high load with the Boony box are felt and seen on the plugs. Before at stock temps, the effects of the 'putor over 129 degrees took over and I could never get this engine to go too rich. Now i can and i like it cause it eliminates one more "why" for me.

The other observation I'd like to pass on is about the engine timing. I've pulled plugs on tune days to check things all season. Could never get a consensus for me on what the timing was doing. Now with the cooler temps the timing is staying consistant.
IMO there is more power to be had with my mods and even less temp building in the head coolant with a little less timing. And I run non projected tip plugs.

I think I understand now how Poo has addressed the EPA and tried to make the 2skt live at these lean settings and still have cold pipe snap. I added 1 gr to the tip on the first ride and a 1/2 to the mid on the second ride. It definately can pull more but I'll wait until i do some research on retarding the timing without effecting the injection. Just to be safe in my mind.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
All I can say is WOW, I did this mod to my 13 pro with a rk drop in kit, and I was having powerloss issues at high rpms, my temps now are 115-120, and my sled can now pull 64 weights and hold revs at 81-8200. The funny thing that happened today though, most of my head bolts started leaking coolant, not sure why.
Myself and other members have been chasing our tails with low rs or " backshift " issues and I think the high coolant temps was the culprit.

Did you figure out why your headbolts started leaking coolant?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
Geo figured it out, the tstat on the head was leaking cause I didn't install a washer with a gasket, the coolant came out and pooled by all the bolt making it appear to be leaking from the bolts.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
A paper gasket may work instead of the washer/rubber thermostat gasket. I may try this on the next install.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I gutted the existing t-stat, did not feel comfortable using the rubber washer without something inside to hold shape and thickness.

Premium Features