• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Buying used with warranty. Sleds with aftermarket parts.

M
Sep 4, 2016
Im in the market for a late model sled. Im interested in 19+ RMK, Alpha, Summit. I see guys selling "modded"/bolt on sleds with warranty. How does sled warranty work when say a sled has a cut tunnel, stage 2,3/turbo, runnning boards, etc..bolt on parts. Does a warranty still apply? Or do you need to return it to stock before anything is fixed by a dealer? The sleds i'm interested in are not "local" sleds, how has your experience been with buying used warrantied sleds and dealing with any issues. Thanks for time.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Im in the market for a late model sled. Im interested in 19+ RMK, Alpha, Summit. I see guys selling "modded"/bolt on sleds with warranty. How does sled warranty work when say a sled has a cut tunnel, stage 2,3/turbo, runnning boards, etc..bolt on parts. Does a warranty still apply? Or do you need to return it to stock before anything is fixed by a dealer? The sleds i'm interested in are not "local" sleds, how has your experience been with buying used warrantied sleds and dealing with any issues. Thanks for time.
Modded sleds generally are denied warranty, as they should be. Putting it back to stock is more or less fraud, and the ECM’s on most newer sleds generally show if timing has been altered, duty cycle of injectors, etc. Might be ok for an unrelated failure. Bolt on accessories (not engine related) should have no bearing on an engine warranty claim.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Many dealers are into it and sell these bolt on parts. If they sell it they will stand behind it. Now that said, you are looking at sleds from other areas so it is up to the dealer. Might be a good idea to ask your preferred dealer of their views and get an inspection of any sled you might be interested in.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
" a cut tunnel, stage 2,3/turbo, " .... are pretty intrusive mods. Anyone calling a turbo or cut tunnel a "bolt on" is kidding themselves.

I would expect to have issues getting warranty with those items, and go forward thinking any warranty you *might* get, would be a bonus.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
" a cut tunnel, stage 2,3/turbo, " .... are pretty intrusive mods. Anyone calling a turbo or cut tunnel a "bolt on" is kidding themselves.

I would expect to have issues getting warranty with those items, and go forward thinking any warranty you *might* get, would be a bonus.

I remember seeing you guys selling Boondocker turbos a couple years ago and you even had some on your new floor models for sale.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
We typically do a few turbos a year. They have a following and the following isn't worried about warranty. It's pretty well known that putting aftermarket FI on anything with an engine will void your warranty - cost of doing business in the turbo world.

Premium Features