• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Butte Meadows / Jonesville Conditions

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
I did not make it to the snow park, because of the idiocracy of automobiles that I ran across. However there is a 6ish start at parking lot from what I saw just a 1/4 mile below. Looks like from Outpost cam, a little bit more fell after I headed down hill.

Don't know about you all, but a wet 6" base is not a bad start if we can keep adding to it every 3-4 days. Got my fingers crossed for a little, then a dumper, the a little, etc. Blade, stomp, groom. Years ago we had areas where snow was gone in forest, but still on the trail.

#bladeinnotout

TTFN

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
We've been up riding Carter mountain from the Almanor side. Unfortunately they're logging and plowing the roads past Fannani meadows and headed up towards humbug summit. Not sure how far up towards the warming hut they go but I sure hope they pack their **** out soon.

As far as riding goes, get up high. and even then there's not enough snow to get off trail and really get at it, but its a great start to the season.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Got an email from Hillsliders a bit ago; the gate at Jonesville Snow Park is supposed to be closed this evening by Butte County Roads Dept.

From cameras around, it looks like 4-6 at 4000'. If that is the case and what is required from a regulatory aspect, there should be a foot (perhaps more) at 5000'.

I guess I should pull the gear bag out of the attic and see if I can still wedge my seat meat into my clothes. :face-icon-small-dis

Perhaps a little road ride might be in order to work out bad gas at bottom of the tank. Holla if you might be going up to Butte Meadows/Jonesville area. I'll keep an eye out.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
A little more yesterday and last night. Groomer has been out - I seen pichers - around Humbug way to Fanani and just over the top of Humboldt. The parking lot was clean yesterday.

It's a better start than we've had in a while. Service you stuff; clean carbs, swap out old fuel and get a case of oil bought. If you think one of the shops is going to have your shi'ite done in a 24 hour turn around, you might be surprised.

#justsayin

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Ok road snow today. 6" in Butte Meadows. Little over a foot in Jonesville maybe 2' in the open areas. Perhaps 4+ at 7000'.

Off trail is ok at higher elevation, but I'd be real careful where I went if you didn't know the area good. Not quite enough for comfort, certainly not down lower.

Testing out the old Arctic Cat tag along sleigh for the littles, so no real riding to report.

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Trail was more or less good from parking lot to warming hut. Starting to fall apart, but thankfully up higher and on east side for humbug it's pretty dry snow.

Groomer is running Colby and Humboldt (out to Fanani) today.

Culvert markers are exposed on Humbug, so I'm guessing 3-4' depending on aspect and amount of shelter.

I haven't been anywhere but the road yet this season, as I'm getting some littles used to riding: bumps, noises and bounces. Looking forward to going out Daddy only style, maybe this week after these projected storms move through.

I'd be real careful going off trail until the next couple feet shows up, after that I think there might be a suitable base for some good off trail action.

Was nice to see a good contingent of sledders at warming hut (30+ sleds at 3:30pm) yesterday. Admittedly the riding isn't anything that'll end up in a video, but a lot of smiles from folks glad to be back out on their sleds.

TTFN

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Today was awesome. That's all I can say. Snow was great for powder riding, up on the hood at times. Lots of carving, tree riding. You will get a work out, but stucks were relatively few. Snow very forgiving on Butte Creek drainage side. East side of Humbug was a little wetter and a bit deeper - not as forgiving.

We hit Milkhouse Flat, Humbug Summit, Skunk Flat and ran over to warming hut to take a peek. I'd sure like to see a couple more feet up there to cover trees on hill. Most of the area 6500'+ has 4' but Jonesville (5000') doesn't have enough to comfortably blow off trail. Probably 2' at snow park.

My advice is to get your arse up the hill this weekend and just go find some pow pow.

TTFN

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
YUCK!

Ran up yesterday to do some snow club stuff and it sucks. Rained all the way to Butte Meadows. Heard someone was out and rode to warming hut. Rained all the way over the top of Humbug (6600')

Guess we'll have to "weather" this rain out and see where we go from there. My guess is <5000' we're gonna have to start over.

TTFN

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Was up last Sunday prepping for poker run. Still snow at park. Groomer is out this week prepping for run. There is (as of last grooming) enough snow to get from yellow creek road to humboldt rd in Fanani meadow.

I'd heard that there have been a couple squalls in high country that have left 12+ inches of pow. (Sunday)

Poker Run this weekend, so come join in the fun. Hoping that it'll be crowded on the mountain, so be careful and be patient. Could be lots of little ones and inexperienced riders - everyone want to go on poker run.

Just be judicious with the fun flipper on the right handlebar and don't think everyone you come up on enjoys a face full of roost as you go past. Please exercise a little restraint and caution in the blind areas.

Now let's be safe out there

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Just came back from hill. Roads are clear up Hwy 32 and Humboldt all the way to Jonesville. A little wetness (read ice in shaded areas, late in day) at Little Summit and a 1/4 mile below to east. Use caution, as you should in all areas of the hills.

Couple of patches in the shade (usual suspects) between Butte Meadows and the Snow Park in Jonesville, to be careful of.

Weather seems to have a mind of its own for the weekend, so come a little heavy with the precaution and you should be good. Groomer has been out the last couple days and is going to hit some more tonight and tomorrow.

Jim (groomer) told me that by tomorrow night he'll have most of the trails hit at least 1-2 times and the loop for the poker run 3-5 depending on snow depth.

Hope you all can get up the hill this weekend. For the love of Mike, exercise a little patience and caution with you fellow man.

TTFN

M
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson,CA
Rabbit Rabbit Rabbit

There is still snow left in the hills. It rained to 7000' feet on Friday evening. This I know because we were at 7000' Friday evening. Snow is very set up. There was some snow that came through on and off Friday night and Sunday. Maybe an inch possibly two, but very dry.

Trails are a little rough from poker run, but I think that a groomer is going out today to try and smooth stuff back out.

There were a few water type hazards that popped up Friday, so be careful around the usual suspects

Premium Features