• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bunch of in-season Doos on the floor!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
They never have. So screwed up every year, but by the time I get mine, it grows on me like a fungus, lol.
I am a Polaris rider and feel for you guys as it would suck for me if all the stars aligned that the perfect model came together with good pricing and it was my year to buy a new sled and then find out the only option is one fugly colour. I guess I have been spoiled with custom colour options over the last few years. This is 2021, come on BRP give your customers colour build options like the automotive industry does.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Unfathomable why they can't offer the ability to configure a broad range of colors in 2022. Poo proves you can. The product configuration tech has been around for 20 years, and the scheduling, shop floor and vendor management isn't that complex, SAP can easily do it. The cash cost is more in the backend, warehouse management and replacement parts inventories. Maybe the product marketing team is understaffed, on covid furlough, or color blind. As weird as it sounds, maybe the apparel color leadtimes in China are too long and can't be synched. Wouldn't that be weird.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Doo's refusal to give color options for spring-ordered sleds and having no stock LED lighting is weird. My guess is that the bean-counters are saying no to those things, at least until Doo starts to lose market share.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Doo's refusal to give color options for spring-ordered sleds and having no stock LED lighting is weird. My guess is that the bean-counters are saying no to those things, at least until Doo starts to lose market share.
I agree on the lack of LED, kinda sucks. But Doo does give stuff that Poo/Cat doesn't. I mean, the whole DESS system is amazing. My sled is currently in a place where it could be stolen easily, I am not worried about it. I have the key. The sled won't run without the key or having another programmed, where it would be flagged as stolen. Same as the Seadoos that I leave on the beach all summer long. Good luck starting it or having a key programmed if you take the effort to tow it away.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I looked at the new Polaris last spring. To get a comparable Polaris to the stock options on a Ski Doo turbo expert the cost was like $4,000 more. I guess I will pick one of two colors for that kind of $ !

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I agree on the lack of LED, kinda sucks. But Doo does give stuff that Poo/Cat doesn't. I mean, the whole DESS system is amazing. My sled is currently in a place where it could be stolen easily, I am not worried about it. I have the key. The sled won't run without the key or having another programmed, where it would be flagged as stolen. Same as the Seadoos that I leave on the beach all summer long. Good luck starting it or having a key programmed if you take the effort to tow it away.
I guess I never worried about that as most sleds get stolen for parts anyway and get loaded directly into a truck or they steal your entire trailer. Yes it is cool tech when it works or you don't have it fly off your jacket and get lost while you are in the back country. And yes you can carry a spare but then you are paying for something you may not even really want. Nice when these things can be added to a sled as options.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
That was exactly my thought, pretty common knowledge in this area a sleds worth more in pieces if cash is your goal.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
That was exactly my thought, pretty common knowledge in this area a sleds worth more in pieces if cash is your goal.
I came across a guy that I just happened to ask what year his sled was. He started to tell me all the years the individual parts were from. Motor, tunnel, bulk head, suspension, plastics, etc. Made me a bit suspicious but who knows?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I guess I never worried about that as most sleds get stolen for parts anyway and get loaded directly into a truck or they steal your entire trailer. Yes it is cool tech when it works or you don't have it fly off your jacket and get lost while you are in the back country. And yes you can carry a spare but then you are paying for something you may not even really want. Nice when these things can be added to a sled as options.
21 Etecs with DESS since 2013, never lost a tether. I part out sleds for a living, and just sold my Summit for MUCH more than I could get for it in parts.

G
Dec 20, 2007
21 Etecs with DESS since 2013, never lost a tether. I part out sleds for a living, and just sold my Summit for MUCH more than I could get for it in parts.
That's lucky for you. In BC, we end up riding in deep powder more often then not. Have had to dig around for hours 3 times since 2013 when the tether clipped or broke off jackets in a crash/stucks. Got lucky 2 times; had to double the guy out the 1 time. Be nice to be able to software disable it and just have a normal tether OR be able to work around like a Polaris or Cat.

As for theft, just pull the coil plug or ecu plug off; thief wont figure that out. And selling a stolen sled whole is about as stupid.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Could possibly buy the Can Am DESS key as a spare. No lanyard but it’ll get you home, and it’s less than half as much… assuming they still sell just the key of course. Have had the spare programmed into my last 4 sleds, have actually needed it once.

Last edited:
S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
That's lucky for you. In BC, we end up riding in deep powder more often then not. Have had to dig around for hours 3 times since 2013 when the tether clipped or broke off jackets in a crash/stucks. Got lucky 2 times; had to double the guy out the 1 time. Be nice to be able to software disable it and just have a normal tether OR be able to work around like a Polaris or Cat.

As for theft, just pull the coil plug or ecu plug off; thief wont figure that out. And selling a stolen sled whole is about as stupid.

Just unbolt the tether "receiver" and hide it inside the plastics somewhere and use it purely for anti theft. Then wire in a regular tether and fit it where the OEM tether was and use that when riding.
This was a standard operation for the guys that used to race sleds fitted with the original "fragile as crystal" DESS tethers.

Premium Features