• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building sled-deck question

big-zig

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2009
Minneapolis
I've got an extra 8.5 x 10 foot trailer that I was considering removing the axle and making a frame to slid into back of longbox Duramax. Are there any issues with having a 10 ft bed in back of truck? I've noticed nobody builds longer than 8 ft sled-decks. My sled is closer to 11 ft long.
Thanks for the help
Zig

S

silvester

Dec 15, 2009
Grand County Colorado
I'm thinking about doing some fab work to make a sled deck. For sure one thing to consider is the fact that a 8.5 x 10 trailer frame is going to be heavy. It's probably a steel beast. Anything over 80 inches wide has a DOT requirement for lights that is different than for trucks or regular trailers. Not sure about length but it might require DOT stickering as well.

catssuk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Edgerton Wi.
i built mine. 8.5' wide and 9.5' long with a 2' beavertail angled down about 30degrees, its in a crew cab long box, duri duelley, and i can still tow a trailer behind it no problem with clearance.

big-zig

Lifetime Membership
Sep 27, 2009
Minneapolis
Thanks guys. The trailer I'm using is aluminum so that should help the weight issue. It also has clearance and tail lights. I was considering a 10' ramp. Is that enough? I can go 12' if need be.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Curious

I am curious to why the truck decks are popular? Isn't a pain to set them up on the truck and then to load the snowmobiles? Why not just pull a trailer? Not trying to bash, just interested in the advantages over a trailer?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
I am curious to why the truck decks are popular? Isn't a pain to set them up on the truck and then to load the snowmobiles? Why not just pull a trailer? Not trying to bash, just interested in the advantages over a trailer?

Improved traction
- weight is directly on the drive tires
Easier parking - shorter overall length
Reduced turning radius
Improved security
- harder to reach
Increased fuel mileage - less weight and improved aerodynamics
Low (no) maintenance - bearings, tires
No license fees

I have a 4-place open and my buddy has a 2-place open, both we use in season depending how many are coming along... I bought a deck this summer cause I hate having to turn a trailer around when we go up late spring riding and have to drive up the roads and turn around in tight spots. The trailers are definitely nice for loading, as I don't look forward to learning that one, but I do look forward to not having to un-hook and hook-up to turn around when necessary.

Hope that helps:face-icon-small-hap

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
i thought a sled deck was a stupid idea until i used one, now i will never go back. so much more convenient while driving and parking, especially in town. the only downside i can think of is fuelng up, but i got a turbo so i will just fuel up before loading. either way im young, hopping up on the deck is easy, i will have plenty of time later to fight a two place trailer.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I wonder why people carry their sleds on trailers... seem pretty silly to me. I seem to be the designated parking lot de-stucker where I ride, with sleds on the truck pulling the people that thought they could turn a trailer around out of whatever they did is pretty easy.

As for why people only build 8' decks, I think the idea is to make them work in an 8 or 6' bed, a 10' deck would have huge leverage as you drove up onto it.

trailers are silly!!! :face-icon-small-hap

B
Jan 17, 2008
NorCal
Another advantage of the sled deck, and my favorite is you don`t have to chain up if there is chain controls if you have 4wd. With a trailer in California anyways you would have to chain up.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
I am also thinking about building one. I have a F-350 crew cab long bed. So What dimension should I build it? I was thinking 7'8 by 8 foot. Looks like a dove tail on it is the way to go. But if I go 8 feet long and then a 10 inch to 1 foot dove tail will I be able to open my tail gate ? Also. I would be limited on ramp length by deck length.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
About the only disadvantage of having a sled bed that I can think of is that where do you put your freight, say if you have a cabin? If someone has that figured out let me know? I'd love to have a Slicklift.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Very old thread - but, is any manufacture building a 10‘ deck yet? I’m buying a log bed pickup and want the extra length.
If not I may just sell the bed and put on a flatbed

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Wow are there some cool rigs there. There is now a 99.999% chance I’ll be going with a flatbed.
Thanks for the reference.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm also a fan of the flatbed. We re-purposed a wrecked aluminum sled trailer to sit on my dads. The extra length is great plus already had the tie down channels, marker lights, and space for the ramp under it. Four pins and it comes off for hauling other things or towing again. See post #3 here: https://www.snowest.com/forum/threads/local-sled-hauler-truck-build.451052/
Once drawback with the flatbed is the sleds don't stay as clean as they do way up on a deck. I still like it better though.

Premium Features