• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

budget helmet options

S
Nov 20, 2018
New to sledding, looking to buy a helmet (Moto-x style so I can use it in summer too). I'm a bit overwhelmed by the range of options, from $400 on the high end, to the cheaper DOT certified ones on Amazon that are $60. I'm on a budget, not looking for anything fancy, but also don't want to compromise on safety. Are the cheaper ones that are DOT certified any less safe than the super expensive options?

Any recommendations for a good helmet on the cheaper side?

Nightsider

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2019
Castle Rock, WA
New to sledding, looking to buy a helmet (Moto-x style so I can use it in summer too). I'm a bit overwhelmed by the range of options, from $400 on the high end, to the cheaper DOT certified ones on Amazon that are $60. I'm on a budget, not looking for anything fancy, but also don't want to compromise on safety. Are the cheaper ones that are DOT certified any less safe than the super expensive options?

Any recommendations for a good helmet on the cheaper side?
Watch for sales @ stores like Dennis Kirk & you will find something affordable.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
DOT standards are geared toward road type impacts and include a sharp object penetration test. Snell and/or ECE certification is more important to me and is a little more rigorous than DOT aside from the penetration test. I've heard ECE is fairly similar to the Snell tests. Some Snell/ECE certified helmets are not DOT certified. Even some high end helmets. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't good helmets. Could mean they didn't feel DOT was a necessary set of test for their market, they didn't want to put the DOT sticker where DOT requires it so it's technically not certified, or they didn't feel the weight penalty of extra shell material for the penetration test is worth it.

First and foremost the helmet needs to fit correctly. If it is too tight, too loose, or wrong shape it won't do its job right. For shape there's round and oval. My head is more of an oval shape so I look at reviews that show a helmet with that shape. Another big thing for me now is if a helmet has a MIPS-type system that reduces rotational forces during an impact. There are new helmets between $100-$200 that have this technology. Rocky Mountain ATV-MC has a huge selection of MX lids with reviews and has a good return/exchange policy if you get a helmet that doesn't fit well the first time.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I find I like my winter helmet looser than summer helmet. Actually struggle for more air sledding than biking. Also wear a balaclava under the sledding helmet so it needs to be looser. I would have thought it would be the opposite and would want more airy fit in the summer but not true for me. Keep this in mind if you are trying to have one helmet do it all.

E
Jan 17, 2018
I personally love FXR helmets. Middle of the road on pricing and are very nice. I was going back between them and 509 at the snow show and 509 seemed almost like junk compared to FXR. Ended up being comfortable and a great fit for wind protection as well when riding down the trail. Love mine

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
My suggestion would be go out and try on as many as you can and find what fits "you" the best. Helmets are like shoes or pants when it comes to fit, what fits great for one person feels like crap for the next. As far as quality, I would suggest, purchase the best quality helmet that is in your budget, after all it's your brain you are protecting!! If you went parachute shopping would you buy the cheapest one ?????

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I went to my local dealer that had a decent display of helmets and talked to the "helmet" guy. Goofy guy in general but he knew his stuff on helmets. I had a reasonably open ended budget for a helmet so that was not a limiting factor. What surprised me was the helmets that get the most advertising didn't fit my head well at all. I ended up buying a middle of the road helmet since it fit my noggin the best. Come to find out even though it fit the best in the store the ear holes were a tad too low and pushed down on my ears all day. I was able to slide a piece of 1/4" packing foam between the helmet and the inside liner in the roof of the helmet to shim it up off my ears. Problem solved.

I was really interested in as light of helmet as I could find to get the weight off my neck. I'm still looking for that option.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Find a comfortable fit. Once you go with/ride with the lightest offered helmet in a brand you like - alla KLIM, 509, FXR - you'll be hooked. They won't be cheap, some can be found with non-current graphics at a lower price. I've seen it a dozen times, and don't think it's a placebo after dropping more coin on a light helmet - ride all day for three or more days straight, and the weight benefit is real. Key point now - carefully match the helmet and googles - nowadays, every helmet and google maker typically has a great fit within the same brand. Wasn't always this way. Don't cut corners here - fit of helmet, google to helmet fit, and google to face fit is key.

Premium Features