• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BTW... There is now a ECU reflash available for the 850 :-)

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
BTW... There is now a ECU reflash available for the 850. I had it downloaded yesterday. Seems to have cleaned things up. The reflash is intended to fix the starting issues some have had, and also fix the mid range bog / hesitation.

Quote from the letter sent to the dealers:

Runability Concerns

A few riders have experienced cold start spark plug fouling, mid-range RPM bogging and hesitation, and / or hot engine restart concerns. To troubleshoot these concerns, Polaris has:

1 Posted an engine bog self help article (bla bla bla)

2. Released an updated ECU Calibration on Feb 8, 2019 to address persistent runablilty concerns which are not adequately addressed by the self help article. Digital wrench version 4.0 update 2/8/2019 or newer includes the update calibration.

R
Sep 28, 2018
Can you comment further on the "cleaned things up" statement. I'm only at 250 miles. I'm on the original plugs, with no fouling or starting issues. This sled runs extremely rich although I got amazing mileage on my third tank vs the first two. I'm not sure how it gets the mileage given its so fat. I'm over 10 hrs on the sled, but not sure if I'm over 10hrs above 5000rpm. Just debating whether to go get the reflash now or wait til it's out of break in for sure.

D

dude

Dec 3, 2007
Kamas, Utah
Can you comment further on the "cleaned things up" statement. I'm only at 250 miles. I'm on the original plugs, with no fouling or starting issues. This sled runs extremely rich although I got amazing mileage on my third tank vs the first two. I'm not sure how it gets the mileage given its so fat. I'm over 10 hrs on the sled, but not sure if I'm over 10hrs above 5000rpm. Just debating whether to go get the reflash now or wait til it's out of break in for sure.

Not sure what more to say... Not to sound like an ass, but it cleaned it up... as in it doesn't seem to run so rich / it seems to run more lean, as one would expect with a reflash to address fouled plugs, and bogging.

Hope that helps?

R
Sep 28, 2018
Not sure what more to say... Not to sound like an ass, but it cleaned it up... as in it doesn't seem to run so rich / it seems to run more lean, as one would expect with a reflash to address fouled plugs, and bogging.

Hope that helps?

Hahaha, yeah that helps. I guess I was wondering how much time you have on the tune given you you just got it yesterday. From what you've posted, it's sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for and hoping for once I'm out of break in. My sled is strong and I have no complaints other than it's fat. Im leaning towards the reflash. Thanks for the reply.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Took mine out today and all i can say is holy $HIT that thing is amasing i dont know what they did but its like woke up the monster in that 850.... its so much cleaner that before and gets on the pipe like right NOW!!! I didnt know that it was possable to gain so much from a reflash its like they piped and ported it... also the thing starts first pull when cold (usually one time it was two) i usually ride in the trees and its such a useable gain for me... the bottom to mid snap that things got now is off the charts.... its a perma grin for me..... if u havent got yours flashed yet get on it... youll be impressed espessially if ur a tree/mtn rider

Last edited:

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Ha. So we have one person saying it made things worse, and one saying it is awesome.

I will probably hold off until we get more input. Our 850's are running quite well. Have had issues in the past with updated 800 maps making some aspects worse if you aren't experiencing the issues they are meant to fix.

Please keep posting your experience with the new map.

J
Mar 4, 2013
Sweden
Got mine flashed a couple days ago but haven't really ridden it yet. Didn't experience bogging until the last 2 rides with deeper snow and on longer pulls, I then tried it in etahnol mode and it got a lot worse so I switched back.
Will be interesting trying it out after the flash.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Got mine flashed a couple days ago but haven't really ridden it yet. Didn't experience bogging until the last 2 rides with deeper snow and on longer pulls, I then tried it in etahnol mode and it got a lot worse so I switched back.
Will be interesting trying it out after the flash.

IMHO

Bogging on long pulls is not the issue. That can be something else. The issue of partially fouling plugs at the bottom end. Once on the pipe they have been good unless they are clutched too light.

S
Dec 28, 2018
Washington
Ha. So we have one person saying it made things worse, and one saying it is awesome.

I will probably hold off until we get more input. Our 850's are running quite well. Have had issues in the past with updated 800 maps making some aspects worse if you aren't experiencing the issues they are meant to fix.

Please keep posting your experience with the new map.

If i was you get ur sled flashed try it out... you wont regret it... but if u do just bring it and get them to flash it back...

Last edited:

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
GET THE FLASH!!!!

So my sled worked flawlessly today. 24 hours on engine. Today was -6C and 2 feet of snow down so had a really good chance to see how it works.

Before the flash, I suffered from the both the mid bog and the rpm hanging when you came off throttle. Both gone.

I can't say it has more power, but it simply works. Very liner power band and never missed a beat.

I also installed the Bikeman full velocity can after the flash and it worked with it as well.

More testing coming on the weekend. Will report if anything changes.

OTM

T
Dec 12, 2007
Qc, Canada
Mine have been reflash. It’s worse than before, still bogging and major rpm drop on long pull : 700 rpm drop. Am pretty sure the mapping shaved some Horsepower , my clutching is now off, I will need to shave some weight in the primary.

The only thing that is better than the original mapping is the cold start problem. It start on the second pull, no more 5-6 pull to start.

We were 2 850 today with the reflash, both sled have the same problem.

Sled is a 163 x 3 with 11 hours on the clock now. Very disappointing

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Mine have been reflash. It’s worse than before, still bogging and major rpm drop on long pull : 700 rpm drop. Am pretty sure the mapping shaved some Horsepower , my clutching is now off, I will need to shave some weight in the primary.

The only thing that is better than the original mapping is the cold start problem. It start on the second pull, no more 5-6 pull to start.

When they reflash the ECU, it defaults to ethanol mode.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

Just a question... What does your belt deflection look like?

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
Compared my Dad and brothers 850 side by side today. My brother did the update flash on his and my dad hasn't yet. Huge difference in low to mid range, this is the way the 850 should have been. I'm really surprised how big of a difference it made. Hard to tell if the top end has changed because both sleds run hard at WOT. My brothers sled was out climbing everything today and we had some deep snow. Neither sled ever had issues fouling plugs or bogging before but both were sluggish in the 1/4 throttle range. The run on issue also appears to be fixed which could be a real safety issue if you're not expecting to need to brake.

Premium Features